Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lchauff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 11:43 AM
    Is it proper etiquette to ask what is being served for a casual dinner party?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2010, 11:59 AM

Today with the numbers of people with food allergies or medical issues... its not unreasonible to ask, or expect to be asked.
    cfpax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 12:02 PM
    Depends on your reason, and how you do it.
    If you have any dietary restrictions, you *need* to know what is in a dish. If you are allergic to nuts, say, better to let the host/hostess know right off the bat rather than have them have to call the ambulance later. If you are a vegetarian, best to let them know, so that they don't add bacon bits to the salad -- the one thing on the table you might otherwise have eaten.
    But don't expect the host/hostess to make the entire menu conform to your requirements. Leaving out bacon bits is one thing; making duplicate dishes for everything is another. Be prepared to skip dishes and not complain. If necessary, bring your own energy bar to tide you over. The main point of a dinner party is to be social, not necessarily to eat.
    Oh yes - and if you are bringing wine or a dessert, it's perfectly fair to ask about the menu so you can choose an appropriate complement.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 24, 2010, 03:11 PM

It is poor practice not to tell the person when asking them.

If they don't eat pork, or have a serious peanut issue, asking them to a BBQ where it is a whole hog and all the food is prepared where they had fresh nuts on the same counter could be a serious issue.

I would always ask if invited to any event, what was being served and if they wanted me to bring anything
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2010, 05:28 PM

I think it's good to be honest with family and friends about real needs such as if your husband is deathly allergic to nuts and there can be none in the room, you better tell that hostess and ask her to tell people who are bringing things to avoid all nuts. But if someone's just trying to loose weight, or doesn't care for beans or something, I think they should just make the most of the situation and not bring it up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dinner Party Etiquette - guests inviting more guests! [ 24 Answers ]

Hi, I'm having a small dinner party with family members. A month ago I sent out an email invitation to the all the family living near by, total of 12 guests. Now, 3 days before the party one of the family members has invited 6 more people to my party, 4 are family from out of town, 2 are dates. ...

Casual Dinner party [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all My son is dating a nice young lady, they are both 16. Her parents have invited us over for home made pizza, my question is , should I take something over as part of the dinner or not, Thanks

Dinner Etiquette [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, My son whom is 16 is dating a very nice young lady, her parents have invited us to dinner This evening. My question is , should I take something to go along w the dinner ? Thanks Slew

Rehearsal dinner etiquette [ 1 Answers ]

Who all should be invited to the rehearsal dinner? The wedding is in the bride's home town. Most everyone attending the wedding will be out-of-towners. Are all those from out of town to be invited?

View more questions Search