Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ItchyAndAnnoyed Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 01:55 AM
    Help! Small biting flies mainly around kitchen
    Can anyone please help?

Mainly in our kitchen, though a couple have been spotted upstairs, we have tiny black flies that are extremely annoying. At first I thought these were fruit flies but now we are getting bitten badly so I'm at a loss.

We keep the place clean and tidy but do have 2 cats. They don't appear to have fleas or anything and we ADVOCAT them once a month. Last month though we found that half our carpet under the stairs had been chewed away by a mass collection of moths-which we hovered up. Could any of these be connected?

We do have a problem with our rubbish stinking and try to use nappy sacks for all food waste.

The problem only surfaced a month ago.

Thanks.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 24, 2010, 02:43 AM

The various different problems you've had make me want to ask:

Do you have a mildew issue as well?

The reason I ask is that all these bugs require moisture to survive and the populations you indicate lead me to wonder if there's excessive moisture under the house or in the walls.
    ItchyAndAnnoyed Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 03:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    The various different problems you've had make me want to ask:

Do you have a mildew issue as well?

The reason I ask is that all these bugs require moisture to survive and the populations you indicate lead me to wonder if there's excessive moisture under the house or in the walls.
    I'm not sure about Mildew, but in our kitchen where it's masticked around the gap in the sink it has all gone black and gunky-we were planning on ripping that up. I have seen a couple of them around that, do you think they may be in there? What do you think I should do? I'm a bit conerned if they are there then a whole swarm will come up when we rip it up to clean.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Flies/Sewer Flies [ 24 Answers ]

We moved into this house almost 1 yr ago. At first I didn't notice the flies. We have a shower stall in our bathroom that is in our room. We noticed a leak and stopped using it. Someone mentioned that I should still pour water down the drain, is this true? Our sump pump is in the basement next...

Small flies in our house and can't get rid of them [ 12 Answers ]

We have these small flies that seem to be attacked to our kitchen and bathrooms. They are bigger than fruit flies but smaller than the common fly. When you kill them they have blood in them. We don't allow food to be out and the dirty dishes are cleaned in the dishwasher. In the kitchen they...

Small flies in AC vents [ 1 Answers ]

I have what I think are fruit flies that fly between my central air vents in my family room and they are driving me crazy. At first I thought they were coming from fruit left out in the kitchen (which is adjacent and open to the family room) but despite putting all food away and cleaning my...

Biting Flies [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get rid of biting flies...

Biting Flies [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know a remedy for biting flies?. we get them really bad and can't be outside at our beach cottage. HELP!

View more questions Search