Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rishi27 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 10:51 PM
    What's the probability, the sample mean for the 16 hour long periods is less than 47?
    The outside “clip‐on” lanes of the Auckland Harbour Bridge are to be closed to heavy vehicles, due to
    structural damage.
    Suppose in order to understand the amount of cargo being transported over the bridge that Land
    Transport monitored the traffic for 16 randomly selected one hour periods. The number or trucktrailers
    were counted for each one hour period and the sample mean x calculated.
    Assume the number of truck‐trailers crossing the bridge per hour is normally distributed with a mean
    50 and standard deviation of 8.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2010, 08:49 AM

Define your variable.

Let X be the number of trucks/trailers using the bridge in the 16 hours sample.

X ~ N(50, 8^2)

You are to find P(X < 47).

Convert this X value to a z value by using:

Then look up your z table for the probability associated with this z value.
    rishi27 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 05:15 PM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    Extremely helpful in confirming my analysis of problems. Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability including finding it using a random sample? [ 7 Answers ]

A new muscle relaxant is available. Researchers from the firm developing the relaxant have done studies that indicate that the time lapse between administration of the drug and beginning effects of the drug is normally distributed, with mean of 38 minutes and standard deviation of 5 minutes. a....

Probability of sample mean? [ 3 Answers ]

The mean time to download the home page of a company was 0.8 second. Suppose the download time was normally distributed, with a standard deviation of 0.2 second. If you select a random sample of 30 download times, a. What is the probability that the sample mean is less than 0.75 seconds? b....

What's the name of the second song on the rush hour 2 sound track? [ 1 Answers ]

The only part of it I remember is saying something about she is mine...

Heat pump takes a long time (hour or more) to raise the temperature [ 19 Answers ]

An HVAC guy just installed a Carrier 13 SEER heat pump, model number 25HBR, to heat/cool (forced air) the upstairs (10 ft ceilings) of my house (2800 sq ft) in the Washington DC area. The downstairs and basement are heated/cooled by a gas furnace/AC system. So far, I'm disappointed that the heat...

View more questions Search