Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andylundel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 01:43 PM
    Ceiling fan wiring
    I am installing a harbor breeze ceiling fan. There are four wires in the light box: black, white, red and bare. The fan has black, white, blue and green. It has a light kit, and there's a wall switch. I can connect white to white, black to black, green to bare, but what do I connect the red to?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 02:31 PM

Is there possibly a second switch in or near this room that also controls power to the box? Do you plan to control the light and fan separtately with wall switches, pull chains or a remote?
    dano808080 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 04:38 PM
    Don't connect red to anything. That just allows the fan to be controlled from two switches instead of one. This assumes you have a normal 110volt US wiring.

For 220volt (unlikely), you connect red to red, black to black, white to white, and green to green (or the ground casing or bare).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 04:56 PM

Hold up Dano, red is something and this is not safe to assume anything until we know more from the poster. Red could mean a 3 wqay switch or a second switch in the same box. Hasn't been 110 and 220 for quite some time now, I think it went 120 in 1958 or 1970

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ceiling/fan light in kitchen - with a three (3) wall switch: #1 - Turns power on for ceiling/fan AND recessed ceiling lights. The other two switches control (on/off) the fan and fan light respectively. My problem is that I don't want the ceiling recessed lights on... but I need to...

Ceiling Fan Wiring [ 3 Answers ]

We have a Harbor Breeze model #136954. It has a remote and no pull chains. The remote "sensor" is not part of the fan assembly, but a separate unit that rests up inside the canopy in the mounting bracket. There are green (ground), black, white and red wires coming from the house. There are one...

Wiring Ceiling Fan with no white wire in ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm trying to install a ceiling fan in an old house (about 60+ years). I have a new ceiling fan with 4 wires, black, blue, white, and green. On the ceiling, there are only three wires, 2 copper wires (unfortunately no colors, just a dark covering over both), and a green wire, which has...

Ceiling fan wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Need diagram on how to hook up a ceiling fan with a forward/reverse switch, a 4/wire speed switch, and a 3/wire capacitor.

Ceiling fan wiring, 2 blk, 2 what, 1 red, 1 grn from ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

I am attempting to install a hampden bay minuet 2 fan. The prexisting ceiling wires consist of two black, two white, 1 red, and my ground wire. A basic lite fixture was installed previously and controlled by a single wall switch. The wall switch has 1 red on the bottom and two black on the top...

View more questions Search