Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Heypaisano Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2010, 10:07 PM
    What type of adhesive for marble tile
    I am laying marble tile in my guest bathroom. I used hardibacker on top of the subfloor but am not quite sure what type of adhesive would be best. Any help out there?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2010, 05:13 AM

Thinset is the most common, but I've known of people using a 2 part epoxy also.

Head to Lowe's or HomeDepot and talk to the Pro Desk guys for what's the most popular one used by the contractors.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Sep 23, 2010, 07:46 PM

Hey Paisano,

Before we get to the adhesive can you tell us what the subfloor consists of and how you installed the Hardie.

! Stone tiles require a much stiffer subfloor system than porcelain or regular glazed quarry tile do. It is unlikely that your joists system meets minimum specs for stone. Plus you need a double layer subfloor/underlayment, plus the backer or membrane under the tiles.

Once we determine if the subfloor does not have too much deflection, you can be safe to install the backer into fresh thin set mortar and then the tiles? Do you have any thin set on hand now? Can you tell us if you have a large selection where you live or limited.

Ciao, Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Remove black tile adhesive before ceramic tile [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning on installing new ceramic tile on the slab floor in my dining room. After removing a couple of layers of carpet and disintegrated padding, the only thing left is a thin coating of black tile adhesive from a previous tile job. (I'm taking into account the possibility of the presence of...

What kind of adhesive to use for Marble backsplash? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a marble backsplash that came separate from my bathroom vanity. I have to put the marble backsplash in place. Should I just use an adhesive to do this? What kind of adhesive? I have a Polyurethane Premium Construction Adhesive tube at home already. Can I use this? But it doesn't...

Ceramic tile over self adhesive vinyl tile work? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom with self-adhesive vinyl tile on the floor. Can I put ceramic tile over this vinyl tile?

Marble tile adhesive won't dry. [ 7 Answers ]

I have laid 12x12 marble tile in my foyer. I laid it on Saturday morning and now it is Monday morning and its still not set. It is on top of subfloor with a layer of this felt/plastic composite underlayment. I'm wondering if it won't dry because its by the front door and its cooler there or I did...

View more questions Search