Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LIZMEADE1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2010, 07:10 AM
    When I leave my dog in his crate he omits this disgusting smell, what is it
    When we go out and leave our 12 year old basenji in his crate he has started making this oder that is disgusting, it smells up him the crate and the house! Hellp
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2010, 07:13 AM

Anal glands? Impacted anal glands are "smelly" and also painful for the dog. What does your Vet say?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2010, 07:16 AM

I was thinking the same thing as Judy, sounds like anal glands.
    They smell FOUL, and some dogs need them to be emptied manually.

Anal glands are located just inside the dogs anus and every time the dog goes to the bathroom a little it of fluid is released.
    If there is no fluid being released then it can build up and become infected.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2010, 02:41 PM

Spending time in the crate concentrates the odor so that you really notice it.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Sep 19, 2010, 06:00 PM

I had a dog who cried in the crate if there was a storm. He drooled when he cried and it stunk terribly by the time I got home. He would be dry by the time I got home but I always knew if he had cried by the odor. He was an older dog with bad teeth so it got worse as he aged.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2010, 11:48 PM

Dogs will release their glands if they are scared, under stress or the glands are too full.

You should get him checked just to make sure his glands are not plugged.. if everything is A-OK in that department, then he is releaseing them because something is scaring him.

Any other type of noticeable behavior? Does he not want to go to his crate? Does he pant?

Also.. what you're feeding him can impact his smelly moments. Bad food will create smelly dogs. He might not be able to help it.

He's getting older, things aren't working the way they use to. He might not have control. I know every time I take my 12 year old pointer on a car ride, she will release them. I've had her checked out, and she's OK.. Its just her. Its just something you have to deal with... another glorious thing that comes with owning an older dog :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to house train my dog without a crate.its me or the dog. [ 3 Answers ]

Iam in need of some very necessary advice.I have a six month old Pugshire.She is very affectionate and playfull.My girlfriend has just given birth and my pup is not house trained.My entire house is a wee wee pad to her.My girlfriend is fed up but I will never in a million years get rid of my pup.I...

How long can I crate my dog? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm going to be an empty nester and would like to go back to work. How long can I leave my 1 year old german shorthaired pointer in his kennel? He takes naps in his kennel and goes it when we leave. He does really well and seems to like his kennel. I plan to continue our daily 1 hour trip to...

How to de-crate my dog? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and my family think that is unfair for my mini dacshund to be locked up in his crate for up to eight hours a day. A woman who is a german vertinarian and that works in a dog spa informed my husband that the "crate" method is only masking the problems in the dog and is retarding it from...

View more questions Search