Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Momconcerned Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 09:30 PM
    Shared Lease by 4 people changing ownership.
    My daughter and her boyfriend signed a lease with another couple. The owner/Landlord is the mother of the male in the other couple. She is giving the house to her son and his girlfriend. Since the lease was signed with all 4 parties, and she is basically cancelling the lease with 2 of them. Does this not mean that my daughter and her boyfriend are no longer tied into the lease? Does this cancel the joint lease??
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Momconcerned View Post
    ... the lease was signed with all 4 parties, and she is basically cancelling the lease with 2 of them. Does this not mean that my daughter and her boyfriend are no longer tied into the lease? Does this cancel the joint lease???
    No. She has to have cause to cancel the lease. You have not indicated that she has any such cause. Each of the 4 lessees, including your daughter and your daughter's significant other, can refuse to let her cancel. The lease would continue for it's full term.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shared home ownership [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone had experience with the idea of shared home ownership? Here's a link that explains the basic principle: Shared Home Ownership - Peoplebrokers It sounds like an attractive option for me, but pros and cons anyone?

Lease termination with change of ownership [ 1 Answers ]

Two years ago the building where I rent office space changed owners. I was told that the original lease would be honored. I want to know if I can leave even though I still have 2 years left on lease? I never signed anything with new owners. This is in New York.

Selling property abroad with shared ownership [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have property abroad/Poland/ that belongs to me and my parents. I would like to sell it and use the money to buy a property in London. My parents are willing to give me the money that will come from selling they part of the property. I am british tax resident so I wonder if I would have to...

Shared House, Month to Month Lease, who is the primary lease holder? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a shared house in NYC and there have been some issues amongst roommates. No one in this house was on the original lease from the landlord as people have moved in/out replacing those people throughout the years. I am the only registered/documented bill payer for the house. Does this...

Getting out of a shared lease [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I signed a one year lease in June of 2005 in California. During the year our house was sold, and the new owner apparently assumed our lease as the property manager stayed the same. We have never signed anything, let alone seen, spoken, or communicated in any way with the new...

View more questions Search