Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 08:05 PM

Wow, wish I could rep you Sariss, thanks for finding all those.
    4harves Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2009, 08:40 PM
    I can't believe you lot.
    I too am a first time poster and first time breeder and had to join as reading some of your comments made me see another ugly side to professional breeders and before you get on your high horses, I do not put all breeders in the ugly catorgory side.
    I have had 5 dachshunds over the years and I too am in Australia. It is so hard to get or order a pup through a registered breeder and you can be on a waiting list for 12 months. If you have a dog that you are happy with and are NOT breeding for money, what is wrong with that. There will be a line of good people at your door for pups to become family members and friends for life. We purposly did not get our fixed as we knew we wanted another pup for ourselves at some time and the $1000+ that we have been paying from breeders for a pup seems way over the top just because we want a Dachshund pup.
    Our Girl currently has a boyfriend staying over as we want another pup for ourselves, and as soon as this was mentioned to friends, without advertising we have a list of expectant families ready to take excess pups home.
    I do agree that 10 months is too young but that is what forums are for, so people can get feedback on questions asked. Not to be cut down because they don't belong to the right breeding society or because they are not breeding to make money, or because they don't want to show their dogs.
    Most people are responsible in taking on the idea of breeding a dog and have most certainly done or are doing research before jumping in. Listen to experts on breeding but also listen to dog owners that love their animals and then make your own decision.
    As for me I say if you love your dog and it does not have a family history of problems then go for it and enjoy all the happiness it brings to you.
    krazykat02 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2009, 09:13 PM
    I breed dachhounds too1 you have to be careful breeding two dachounds of the same speicies because some times the mother will eat the young or the puppys will be born blind and deaf! Its not a 100% thing but it can happen!
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 11:15 PM

Oh good grief...

Breeding 2 purebred dacshund together does not make them blind, deaf or cannibals :rolleyes:

You just have to actually know what you are doing and don't breed the mother too young.

Also, 4 harves...

It is so hard to get or order a pup through a registered breeder and you can be on a waiting list for 12 months.
    There are currently 8 Dacshund puppies for sale on Dogzonline so your waiting list theory is not right.
    And that is only the ones who have ADVERTISED on the web site, many do not, you have to call the individual breeders.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au

As for me I say if you love your dog and it does not have a family history of problems then go for it and enjoy all the happiness it brings to you.
    The biggest problem is that no-one tests for inherited disorders and diseases.
    A dog might not have a "history" of a certain problem but they could be a carrier for it, meaning they themselves don't have the problem but they carry the gene.
    Breed them to another dog that carries the same gene and you end up with a bunch of unhealthy pups.

Dacshunds are one of the worst as they can have back problems which often don't display until later in life... so yeah your dog may not have a bad back now because she is young, wait until she is older and near crippled then you go "whoops guess I shouldn't have bred her"

The reason it is best left to show people and only reputable breeders is because they CARE about the health, temperament and overall look of the breed.

Could you tell me without looking these things...

What is their bite like?

What should their gait be?

What are the height restrictions?

Biggest health problems in the breed?

How many different types of Dacshund are there??

I didn't think so.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 23, 2009, 09:15 AM

This thread is from 2006.

4harves and Krazykat, it's best to start your own thread and not piggy back on an old thread.
    Kayota Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 12:06 PM
    I find some of this contradicting. For example, redgardless of whether this person breeds, people who only buy from breeders will continue to buy from breeders and puppies in shelters will continue to die.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayota View Post
    I find some of this contradicting. For example, redgardless of whether or not this person breeds, people who only buy from breeders will continue to buy from breeders and puppies in shelters will continue to die.
    Did you read any of the previous posts?

First of all, we don't condone puppymills or backyard breeding because of the amount of dogs in shelters. That's where they come from.

Legitimate breeders aren't in it for the money, they do it for the love of the breed and to keep that breed as strong as possible.

People who backyard breed are responsible for the number of dogs that die every year in shelters.

We're not saying to only buy from breeders, a shelter rescue is a wonderful choice. We're saying to stop backyard breeding and put an end to puppymills. That can only happen when people stop buying from the newspaper adds and internet adds and pet stores. No legitimate breeder sells their puppies in a newspaper and no legit breeder would ever give their puppies to a pet store to sell. They care too much about where their dogs end up.

If you don't know what you're doing then don't do it, that's what we're saying.

Also, I've said it before, this thread is from 2006. Obviously people feel strongly about this topic, which is good, it's a topic worthy of discussion, but to keep bumping an old thread when the OP hasn't been back, that's not good.

Perhaps we should start a new thread in the discussion forum so that people can feel free to voice their opinions of breeding, backyard breeding, puppymills and shelter dogs.

Shazzy, what do you think?
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 07:36 PM

Very well said Alty.

I am going to close this thread as the issue keeps getting brought back up on this same thread.

I think a group/thread to discuss breeding and adopting would be a wonderful idea but I can see it turning bad very quickly, the same way it always does.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mini Dachshund confussed on where to potty [ 4 Answers ]

My 3 1/2 month old mini dachshund seems confussed on potty training. She will poop and pee outside when she wakes in the morning. She will Poop outside 99% of the time. She wants to Pee inside. We will take her Out and she will stay for 10-45 minutes and nothing. Then when we bring her In she...

Breeding [ 7 Answers ]

If My Pitbull tied with my golden retriever and then the next day tied with a lab what would the pups be. Is it possible to have pups from both the GR and Lab?

House Training a Mini Dachshund [ 4 Answers ]

Hey All...First off I'm a newbie to the site and wanted to say that I have been reading on the advice passed from each and am wondering if I can get some ideas. I have a mini dachshund that is 1 yr old. I have had dachshunds all my life but none have ever been this stubborn. My lil Sammie is a...

Breeding Daschunds [ 1 Answers ]

I have a female and a male standard. I want to breed them, but I was told by the Vet that because they are in the same house together all the time she will not let him. It must be true, because she just sits down and will NOT. I am going to do it artificial. Can you tell me what the normal amount...

Mini Dachshund with Kennel Cough [ 3 Answers ]

We just picked up our eight-week old Mini Dachshund from his breeder this week. We have a one year old Dachshund/Pomeranian mix that we got last year. The baby has had a weird cough since we picked him up, and I called the vet to see if I could get him an appointment. After finding a caring...

View more questions Search