Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rpt72h Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 11:20 AM
    Acrylic tub seems too lightweight
    My husband bought an unused acrylic corner tub out of a manufactured home. It looks new. My concern is that it seems flimsy, it tweaks and bends while moving it around. I hate to install it, do the tile work, and find it cracks the first time my 300 lb hubby gets in to take a bath. My questions: Are they all that way? Is it okay to use? I wonder if we junk it and buy a new acrylic one at HomeDepot will we find that it is just as flimsy? ~Ronna
    hontoni Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Sep 9, 2010, 11:47 AM

Well, before you junk it, check out the ones at Home Depot to see how flimsy they are.

Most acrylic tubs are pretty thin. They gain a lot of strength by being installed. You need to make sure to properly attach them to the walls and support them underneath.

Professionals will mix up a bag of plaster of paris and pour that under the tub before putting it in place. You might have to build some sort of frame to contain the plaster, but probably not. Just mix it pretty thick and you should be fine. Be sure to buy the kind that sets quickly and pour it so that the bottom of the tub will contact the plaster and squash it down.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2010, 12:37 PM

Hey Ronna,
    If you know the manufactures name contact them for installation instructions. If not check at a big box store to see how theirs installs.
    Hontoni has the right idea. It's called "bedding" the tub although we use mortar or cement to puddle under the tub, especially around the drain for support, Although, because of hubbies weight it might be best to build a frame work holding a sheet of plywood to support the tub floor.
    Good luck and let me know how you make out, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acrylic Tub [ 3 Answers ]

Ten months ago we had our bathroom remodeled and, in turn, a new acrylic tub installed by our contractor. Now, there is a crack approximately 12inches long running down the middle of the tub and the area is bowed. We are assuming there was no concrete or mortar placed before the tub was inserted....

Can I use wooden support under an acrylic tub vs cement [ 4 Answers ]

We are currently renovating the bathroom and have purchased a deeper acrylic tub with an apron. In the instruction is suggest a cement base covered by a plastic film. Could we not build a wooden frame based with plywood top and a water resistant membrane to support the tub. We could have the tub...

Acrylic tub repair? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there... I chipped a small corner of my acrylic tub as I as putting it in :mad: :mad: :mad: Any good products to repair it? I have the piece that chipped off and plan on gluing it back on, but you can still see the outline of the chip... Also, how are cpvc stub outs secured? Thanks.

Bad Caulking on Acrylic Tub Cover [ 1 Answers ]

Sent : Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:33 AM To : <[email protected]> Subject : Re Tom, I don't know if this next problem falls under the "plumbing" category, but you've helped me so much with two other things, I figure I'll give it a shot. A few years ago, we had an acrylic tub put right...

View more questions Search