Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jillr1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 09:45 AM
    Crack in sewer pipe
    Noticed a crack in the pipe that carries waste out to the sewer. It's about 13 or 14 " long and very thin possible an eighth of an inch. There doesn't seem to be any leakage. It's a large black pipe, I guess wrought iron. Part of it has been replaced with white PVC pipe but the last six or eight feet is this black wrought iron pipe that leads out to the sewer. My question is should I panic and get someone out to look at it immediately. Can just that part of the pipe be replaced without extensive work to get to the whole pipe that I assume is underground. It's an old old house.
    Thanks so much.
    Jill
    Dragonfire24 Posts: 105, Reputation: 3

Dec 26, 2006, 10:00 AM
    It doesn't sound too bad, but you should be able to patch that up yourself. There is a putty or epoxy that you could easily buy for a few bucks to patch that crack up. If you decide to do that you should also make a note of the crack and when you noticed it, Also check the rest of the pipe very thouroughly for any wear or places were cracks may be forming. If you see anything else than you should definitely talk to a plumber.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 26, 2006, 12:01 PM
    You have several options here. First poke around the crack to remove any weak material that may be near the edge. You are now ready to repair the crack.
    1) cut out and replace the bad part with PVC.
    2) Weld the crack shut.
    3) Seal the crack with JB Weld or epoxy.
    4)Patch the crack with a Saddle Clamp,(see image)

You now have a few options to choose from. Your choice! I would not let this slide as sewer gas may be escaping out of the crack. Repair it at once.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crack in shower base [ 9 Answers ]

I have an acrylic shower base that is only about 3 years old. I noticed today that it has a 3" crack in it about an inch from the drain. I checked it out downstairs and noticed the wood was discolored. So it must have been leaking for awhile. Is there any way that I can fix it without replacing it?...

Basement sewer pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house is about 95 yrs. Old in northeastern Pennsylvania, my sewer pipe is large and black, can you tell me what material it's made of? I can't tell if its cast iron, or cement, etc. Where there are connections, at the joints, it seems to be rusting. Can I patch or paint this? Thanks, m.h....

Help me before I crack [ 1 Answers ]

OK I know this is not a lot to work with but I heard this song on a classic rock station, you know 70's 80's and 90's anyway the song sort of sounds like a gangster movie its got gun shots, squealin tires, and police sirens but no real lyrics, I believe the dj said it was a song from the band...

Crack in pipe that enters the wall under sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a crack in the chrome pipe that goes from the wall into the PVC that my kitchen sink dumps into. Is there a way to fix this without ripping out the wall and replacing that pipe?

Dangers of sewer pipe being unvented [ 2 Answers ]

We have recently discovered not only mold growing throughout our house but upon further investigating found the gas dryer to be unvented releasing not only moisture and carbon monoxide under the house but its also a fire hazard. After hiring a home inspecter, we found a sewer pipe that is vented...

View more questions Search