Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccollins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 08:55 AM
    Does landlord have any rights when tenant won't leave if he is selling the house?
    We moved to Florida 4 years ago. We lived in a 2 family house in MA which we rented out when we moved. We put the house up for sale this May and informed the tenants we were doing so. We were lucky and got a buyer right away. Our tenants are at will (no lease month to month). We gave them a 30 day notice by certified mail. The 2nd floor moved out with children and found an apt. The first floor who is a single woman has not. We sent a realtor down to help her find a new place. She looked at 30 places and refused them all. They were in her budget not a problem. We offered to put her up and pay for her storage. She still refused. We believe she has done this before. We are now in danger of losing the sale. WE are down to the last 15 days of an extension we had asked for from the buyer. I am retired and receive a small amount from SS my wife just lost her job this week. We are desperate now to sell because we have no income coming in. Our lawyer seems indifferent. We asked him to move forward with an eviction, which we still do not know is going to happen. Do we have any rights at all? Can this woman really stay in our house for free?? She has not paid us any rent and we now are left with mortagage payments too. Any help would be appreciated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 08:57 AM

Yes, you have a legal remedy and that is to evict her according to State law. You already have an attorney and that's who needs to file the papers on your behalf.

Have you approached the buyer, advising that the tenant is being evicted?

She can stay in your house for free unless/until you evict her. It's (unfortunately) that simple.
    ccollins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by judykaytee View Post
    yes, you have a legal remedy and that is to evict her according to state law. You already have an attorney and that's who needs to file the papers on your behalf.

Have you approached the buyer, advising that the tenant is being evicted?

She can stay in your house for free unless/until you evict her. It's (unfortunately) that simple.

Thanks appreciate the response.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 09:24 AM

I'd be on the phone with the Attorney as we speak - minimally, opening of business on Monday.

The holiday weekend isn't going to help your time frame, either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord selling the house [ 5 Answers ]

Is a landlord allowed to bring people in the house that I am paying rent if she is selling it. I just don't feel comfortable with random people seeing my stuff.

Can a landlord force the tenant to leave premises while showing property? [ 5 Answers ]

As the OK Landlord, I have had several ugly interactions with the tenant with continuous name calling and rude commentary. The tenants are breaking their lease and leaving. We are certainly happy about that, but we want to be able to show the house in the next 30 days without having a tenant...

What are my rights as a tenant when they are selling MY HOME! [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived in my Hershey, PA residence for the past 3 years it’s a duplex. Our landlord has decided to sell the property. Which I am all for if the new owner will take care of the property. The real estate agent initially wanted me to set up showing for both my side and my elderly neighbors. ...

Landlord is selling house; 10 mo remaining to Rent [ 2 Answers ]

Landlord is selling house; 10 months remaining on a 2 year Rental/lease agreement. If he sells the home, do I have any reprocussions? Is it possible for the Land lord to pay for a local move (San Diego)?

Landlord is selling house [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to how long I have before I have to move after my landlord sells the house I am living in?

View more questions Search