Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dukeboys Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2010, 09:05 PM
    I am on social security, and got behind on a credit card, I paid them part of it thro
    I am on social security, I got behind on a credit card,I paid part of the bill to the attorney handling the case, I was told that they could not take all of the money out of my checking account if I was on socvial security, the garnesheed me, and wiped out my checking account, And was told by my bank if I put any more money in the account that they would take it also. Is there anything I can do.

Aug 27, 2010, 09:07 PM
    biu

Aug 27, 2010, 09:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeboys View Post
    biu
    I am on social security, and was garnasheed for a credit card bill, I was told they could not take all of the money out of checking account for a credit card bill, the wiped out my checking account, is there anything I can do, I was told if I put any more money in the account they will take it.

Aug 27, 2010, 09:12 PM
    Biua
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 27, 2010, 09:32 PM

Please be patient. We are all volunteers here who take time out of our day/night to answer questions. We do not get paid to sit behind a bank of computers to answer.

Now, when someone who has the expertise with your question comes on line, I'm sure your question will get answered. It may take minutes or days, so please check back frequently.

Aug 27, 2010, 09:59 PM
    How do you get back garnessed bank account, on social security, wiped out account
    Get refund whenyou are garnesed by credit card co, on social security wiped out checking
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2010, 05:39 AM
    Whoever gave you the info did not explain things fully.

Social Security is exempt from a judgment for unsecured debt. However, the creditor and the bank have no idea of the source of the funds in your checking account. Therefore, they can get a writ of execution against that account after they get a judgment against you. What you should have been told is to inform your bank that the only funds in your account are from exempt sources so any writ of execution would not be valid.

However, you can get that writ lifted. You need to go back to the court that issued the writ (your bank will have a copy of that) and provide proof (past bank statements showing the only deposits from SS) that the only funds in the account were from your SS payments.

The bank does not turn your funds over to the creditor immediately. There is a waiting period that varies by area giving you a chance to fight it. So Monday morning you need to be at the courthouse with your proof and file a motion to rescind the writ. You then inform your bank that the only deposits will be from exempt sources.
    wg360 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2011, 11:58 AM
    I was sent a letter stating that I owe the unemployment over $ 400.00, they agreed that I could send $ 10.00 a month, in which I have been doing for the past 4 to 5 months, Then yesterday they set me a letter stating I owe another $2000 & today another letter saying I owe another $ 750. I am drawing social security & I am 71 yrs old & haven't worked in two yrs, what is happening here, I don't this kind of money. It was settled at the $400.00, please help. I only get a small check each month, its all I get.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get paid social security taxes back after leaving the US? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, A silly question for which I could find no correct answer. I used to study in the US on an F-1 Visa. Then I got a job and converted to an H-1B visa. Worked for three years and paid taxes. Then converted back to F-1 to finish my MBA and then left the US to come to India. So...

Being sued over credit card debt and I am on Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a summons to appear in court as I am being sued over credit card debt. I really don't know what to do. Can I claim bankruptcy before they sue or can I get a postponement. I really don't know what to do as I barely have any money to live on anyway.

Credit card debt-social security garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I have credit card debt in my name only and was making at least the min payment every mo until they doubled the min. which I cannot pay. Now they are threatening to garnish my social security, my husband's wages and his social security. Can they do this?

Asking again, Social Security & Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

I had the entire amount in my checking account emptied by an old Credit Card debt, that yes, I have been to court and do owe the amount but my situation is that now I am retired and live on Social Security. At the time of the garnishment there were other funds in this checking account other than...

View more questions Search