Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashiefunk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 07:36 PM
    Selling a car... Issues.
    My friend sold her 90 Toyota Corolla in April, a few months later she got some parking tickets in the mail from the new owner. Now we've found the car abandoned in a parkinglot near our house. They never got the car put in their name and she never knew that she had to report anything to the DMV, or fill out a release of liability, until after. She's tried calling the guy and he's avoiding her phone calls, will not give her any addresses so she can complete the form and get it over with.

This is in California, by the way.

So, before the car gets towed... can we take it from the parking lot? She's got a key... What should we do!

Help.

Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2010, 07:53 PM

Assuming you at least took a copy of a bill of sale, you can prove you sold it.

If you "take it" you are accepting you own it.

Aug 26, 2010, 08:12 PM

She doesn't have a copy of the bill of sale. She's fine with taking responsibility for it. It's just she doesn't know what these other people will do...
    aimee_tt Posts: 340, Reputation: 143

Aug 26, 2010, 08:17 PM

Next time take a copy of the bill of sale.

Many years ago my uncle sold his car to a man and kept a copy of the sale. A few months later the police show up and raid his house. The other person hadn't changed names on the car and had dumped the car with a body in the boot. My uncle could have been accused of murder if he didn't keep the sale records.

Aug 26, 2010, 08:20 PM

If anything I have a copy of the ad because it was posted on craigslist, and my phone records with their phone number.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashiefunk View Post
    If anything I have a copy of the ad because it was posted on craigslist, and my phone records with their phone number.

This is not proof of anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling a car [ 2 Answers ]

What are some good sites to post a car for free? I'm selling a car, and need places to advertise it. I've posted on craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums and Kijiji USA Free Classifieds - Post & Search Free Classified Ads Are there...

Selling a car to my business [ 1 Answers ]

I have a business that is incorporated in the state of Pennsylvania. I presently own two cars. I was thinking of having my company buy a new car. However, would it be possible for me to sell to my company one of my cars at book value.

Selling a car [ 1 Answers ]

I have someone interested in buying my used car. I need to know how to handle the money transaction and car title. Do we need to sign the car title in front of a witness (like a currency exchange) ? Don't I need a copy to show proof that I sold the car? What about the money? Do I make some kind...

Selling a car [ 2 Answers ]

How do I sell my car that I still owe money. Just 800.00 but want sell to get a new auto

Selling car to spouce [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to sell my truck to my husband. We live in North Carolina. Is there any laws against this?

View more questions Search