Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silver Touch Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2006, 10:28 PM
    Crack in Cast Iron Main soil stack
    :confused: I just moved into a Bi-level house approx. 40-50 years old. It has a Cast Iron Main soil stack (main vertical sewer line).
    On the lower level I noticed that it has a crack that is approx 5"-6" long about 1/4" thick.
    Now I bought a new pluming book because of some other repairs I had to make and it says to use some kind of putty to fill in the crack or it says to build a support and clamp it to the pipe, then cut the cracked section and replace it with PVC.
    I really would like a person to give me some advice before I just read instructions out of a book. THis is my 1st house and I've never done plumbing work before. I'm learning, but I want to make sure everything is OK.

Thanks.
    mjinms Posts: 39, Reputation: 0

Dec 24, 2006, 12:36 AM
    If a welder can get to it get some free estimates on the repair of the crack. It may be patched with a welder. Some people have portable machine they have set up on a truck. Since cast iron is so heavy and durable, it would be hard to cut out bad area and put something else there.
    Silver Touch Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2006, 02:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjinms
    If a welder can get to it get some free estimates on the repair of the crack. It may be patched with a welder. some people have portable machine they have set up on a truck. since cast iron is so heavy and durable, it would be hard to cut out bad area and put something else there.
    There is drywall behind it that goes to the living room and 2x4 on the sides. The front was paneling that I removed. In the plubing book I have, it showed a brace made from 2 x 4's attached to a special clamp that supports the pipe and then with a circular saw cut the section of pipe out and then replace with pvc.

I'm trying to tackle this myself if possible.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 24, 2006, 07:48 AM
    You have several options here. First poke around the crack to remove any weak material that may be near the edge. You are now ready to repair the crack.
    1) cut out and replace the bad part with PVC.
    2) Weld the crack shut.
    3) Seal the crack with JB Weld or epoxy.
    4)Patch the crack with a Saddle Clamp,(see image)

You now have a few options to choose from. Your choice! I would not let this slide as sewer gas may be escaping out of the crack. Repair it at once.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! We're fixing a cast iron soil pipe & NEED HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

OK - short history of our problem! - We have a 60 yr old house - crawl space - cast iron pipes... Last week we had a back up from the washer into the tub & toilet - from the tub into the toilet... We have only 1 bath so this was VERY BAD! :( - Called Roto Rooter - $270 later - and an extra trip...

Cast iron soil stack to pvc [ 15 Answers ]

the plumbing in our house is from 1936. We noticed a large stain in the ceiling, tore it out to reveal the cast iron soil stack (runs from the upstairs bathroom turns a corner then runs straight to the basement) and found the leak was around (very bad leak) the lead joint. My husband finally got...

Crack in soil stack [ 4 Answers ]

The main soil stack in my 40+ year old two story home has developed small crack. I have seen evidence of a very small amount of leakage in my basement over the past few years, but it was never bad enough to goo cutting into the walls to find the source. Finally it has gotten bad enough that it had...

Cast iron soil pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would appreciate very much if someone could clarify some questions I have on oakum/lead joints I have 3 horizontal hub and spigot joints to repair on 4" cast iron sewer pipe. The pipe itself is @ 5 years old. I would like to know if this is the correct way to solve this problem... ...

Cast iron vent stack [ 7 Answers ]

I'm installiing a new basement bathroom and when running a vent stack I would like to tap into the existing cast iron with PVC using a saddle on the cast. My question is what method is used to cut a hole in the cast iron, where I wish to place the saddle and connect the PVC.

View more questions Search