Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    no1jaxfan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2010, 02:43 PM
    How do I evict my significant other legally?
    My significant other and I purchased our home (in the state of Iowa) back in November of 2003. However, the deed, the mortgage, and all other bills relating to the house are in my name alone. He gives me cash every month to help with the bills. Recently I have considered breaking things off with him, and am curious to know his rights and my obligations to him in regards to evicting him from the premises. We have no written contract in place. In researching this I am finding a lot of mixed information, from asking him nicely to move out, to legal eviction via the court system, to charging him with trespassing if he does not leave when asked. I really want to make sure I cover my hind end to avoid any further conflict with this person. Any direction you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 02:53 PM

First... ask him to leave. It's the nice thing to do.

If that doesn't work, then file the required notice (30 days in most areas) in writing... registered mail so you can prove receipt. Then if they refuse to leave at that time then file the legal eviction process just like they are renters that won't leave. That apllies to everyone related or not.

After all, it would be a lot harder if they have their names on the Mortgage or deed.

Or... Spend a few bucks, Hire a local realestate lawyer to draw every thing up for you and have the papers served. May be worth the money to avoid direct contact yourself. And they will be intimately familiar with your local laws and regulations on the topic so you don't make a mistake.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I legally evict my 18 year old? [ 10 Answers ]

My eighteen year old daughter is headstrong and disobedient and insists that since she is 18, she can do whatever she wants. She believes that I cannot tell her what to do anymore, and that if she is asked to pay rent, that she is not accountable to me. Of course, I disagree since she is living...

How to legally evict a roommate [ 2 Answers ]

I recently signed a lease with a homeowner where the agreement is to fix up the place in lue of three months rent. I have two guys who I allowed to stay at the home in trade for working on the house. They left the project for nearly three weeks, so no work was being done. Now back they still have...

Evict daughter Legally [ 1 Answers ]

My parents have been letting my 22 yo daughter stay in a camp trailer on their property at no cost ans allowing her to use their home freely. The back door always is unlocked. My daughter only contributes a lettle food each month and that is it. She has become aggressive towards my parents who...

Can Landlord legally evict me? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Aptos, CA which is in Santa Cruz County. My ex-girlfriend and I lived at this house for 5 months on 1 year lease. In the past 5 months she has had 3 jobs and been fired from all three jobs. She started to drink heavily again and she is a mean drunk. Too many fights and she was...

Can I legally evict ex boyfriend? [ 15 Answers ]

He's been living with me for a while, but has never paid the mortgage. He does pay some utilities, but now is refusing to leave. He is verbally abusive and has made threats. I fear that he will harm me physically, but has not yet. I tried to get a TPO and was denied because there is not physical...

View more questions Search