Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

Aug 24, 2010, 07:50 AM
    Cleaners for oxygen sensor
    Toyota tundra third time the engine check light came on within three years! My question is why was the first time the oxygen sensor failed, toyota replaced it free under a recall notification?. and six months after that repair, another oxygen sensor failed and this time toyota charged me over three hundred dollars, now two three seasons later, Jiffylube diagnosed another failed oxygen sensor because the check light came on a few weeks ago! Maybe it is just bad luck but, my friend had a oxygen four hundred repair with dealer shop toyota on his two year old tacoma too! Is it likely that overseas engineering is not aware of these deffects associated with poor united states octane or is it much worse in that we the people are being scammed by a new kind of corp. gobment?. Lastly, I want to reset it before inspection and is there a fuel treatment additive that can clean these sensors to avoid being rippedoff by toyota? Tia, john
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 24, 2010, 12:05 PM

Most oxygen sensor DTCs all too often lead to oxygen sensor replacement.
    That is because they are VERY frequently misdiagnosed. If there is a code stored for an O2 sensor, that doesn't mean the O2 sensor is at fault. The sensor may get replaced due to a heater circuit code that is actually just an open fuse.
    Without knowing the actual codes stored, nor the subsequent diagnosis, I cannot comment on who changed your sensors or why. I personally don't suspect any global scam because of trouble codes being misdiagnosed. And, no, there isn't any magic formula for cleaning O2 sensors.
    IF the code is properly fault traced to the sensor, the only repair is to replace.

Aug 24, 2010, 02:20 PM

I know my cigarette lighter socket hasn't been working around the time the engine ck.light came on! So what you are saying is that the jiffylube guy who changed my oil and used a digital tester might have misdiagnosed an OS for a blown dash fuse?. I will ck. All my in dash fuses.. would you know if it is possible for me to reset the engine ck. Light?. I was hoping to do this if need before routine NJMV inspection.I'm not fixing anymore os because I believe this whole thing is a big scam.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 25, 2010, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    So what you are saying is that the jiffylube guy who changed my oil and used a digital tester might have misdiagnosed an OS for a a blown dash fuse?
    No, that isn't what I said. Those are different fuses.
    What I was trying to say is just because you have a particular sensor fault code doesn't mean that sensor was the actual fault. The circuit needs to be traced following strategy based diagnostics to determine the fault.
    What is the code that your vehicle is storing?
    Added: No, you can't easily clear the codes yourself. A scan tool is needed.

Aug 25, 2010, 12:37 PM

Well so much for doityourself vehicle maintenance. I wonder if toyota and other foreign imports are deliberately engineering faulty fuel sensor components or is it the united states EPA or other secret agencies in government that allow faulty fuel sensor components to time out on purpose so they can ripoff millions of americans like this? Back in the old days, any car never had this trouble with the EPA!! It is little wonder less and less are supportive of the EPA and other undercover secret service government agencies stalking us both on and off line out of greed. Just my humble opinion about the matter that has been and amazingly still a questionable issue as to who is in charge of this so called safety issue of our environment we share.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I identify the sensor which siBDii code reader: P0141(bank1, oxygen sensor 2) [ 3 Answers ]

I have check engine light comes on for Nissan Quest 2002, and I took the OBDii reading saying oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2. My question is how can I identify the sensor which side and front or rear from the cat.converter, please.

Oxygen sensor [ 2 Answers ]

My sons 04 vw jetta has intermitent idleing issues was told it is mass air flow sensor or o2 sensor any thoughts?

Oxygen Sensor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 GL automatic. Can you tell me how "many" oxygen sensors this type of car has and where each one is located on my car?

Oxygen Sensor [ 2 Answers ]

I had the oxygen sensor replaced in my 2002 Nissan Altima two days ago. The service engine soon light still has not went off. Does anybody know how to reset it or if it will reset on its own?

Oxygen sensor [ 1 Answers ]

Good day all of you I am having problem with my oxygen sensor on my Honda civic 98 EX it comes with 4 wires. I went to see the price of it, at the dealer, and I was chocked from it, they told me 185 .00$ each. That is why I am looking to buy a universal one, it cost a lot less money, but my...

View more questions Search