Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandy Golden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 02:55 PM
    Quick Claim
    My sister passed away 2 months ago from a brief fight with cancer. (six weeks, age 50). Before she died she quit claim our fathers land to my brother and this was okay with the rest of kids. Then 3 weeks later my brother finds out he has cancer and dies 5 weeks later. He quit claims the land to me before he dies. I was so busy nursing him I didn't take the first deed to be filed. Now here I am trying to file the first deed to my brother after my brothers death. Is that legal. I live in Arkansas and thought I would file the first one before the last. What a horible 3 months.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 22, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Yes, it's legal. First have the deed from your sister to your brother recorded. Then have the deed from your brother to you recorded. Bring both of them with you to the county clerk's office, explain what you want done and they will take care of it.

My condolences on your losses.
    Sandy Golden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 03:05 PM
    Thank you so much Lisa!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 22, 2006, 03:58 PM
    My pleasure. I know the past few months have been difficult for you but try to have a good holiday season!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2006, 10:35 PM
    First I am so sorry for your losses, worry about deeds should be the least of your worry and issues at this time.

But yes a deed is still valid, even if it has not been registered, although of course if it was being sold to a non family member, there could be issues before they are filed.

But as long as the deeds were notorised and/or witnessed, so that there is no belief they were forged after their deaths, there should be no issue in it, and still no issue if no other family member contests it.

You merely go record them and that should be the end of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help quick! [ 10 Answers ]

ok I need help I just got a 3 month old pitbull 2 day and her name is Bookie and she wouldn't eat or drink anything the whole day 2 day also she's been throwing up all day and sh'e kinda weak does that mean she has parvo

Another quick one [ 7 Answers ]

Okay thanks so much for the responses earlier they really help... Now I have been with my boyfriend for 3 almost 4 years. 2 years serious, we both were young and cheated in the past but I can't stop accusing him. He lives with me, we do everything together so what the heck is going on? I don't...

Quick CLaim Deed [ 1 Answers ]

Can I title my house into my sisters name, but still keep tax benefits and mortgage interest deduction? I would still live in the house and pay the mortgage and taxes.

Need Help Quick [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Virginia and have a bi-polar daughter who will be 18 on Sunday. She has been abusive to me for years and I need her to leave my house, once she is 18. She is refusing. How can I legally make her leave my house? I am desperate.

View more questions Search