Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Aug 8, 2010, 01:57 AM
    Hardwood flooring what kind is the best for kitchen and living room?
    I want to put down hardwood floors I the kitchen and living room and have been looking at samples. Any of you out there who has done this what made you pick one brand or another. What brand have you learned is the best and why. It's confusing to me since this will be the first wood flooring I am dealing with. And sales people are able to tell you anything. Thanks for your help!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 12:07 PM

I don't know about a specific brand but you need to be careful in a kitchen since water into the joint will swell it up severely. I prefer 3/4 solid oak, machine sanded, stained with Minwax or similar and 2-3 coats of floor grade polyurethane. Do not use water based poly on hard walking surfaces. I installed our kitchen floor 15 years ago using the above practice and it looks new today. Also suggest you remove the base trim, not just the stop. After the floor is in replace the trim at the new floor level. You can always tell when this wasn't done because the base only sticks above the floor by 1 1/2 inch or so and looks very funny. Take your time, you may have to cut door trim and doors too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardwood Flooring over Hardwood Flooring [ 9 Answers ]

Hello all, I have installed a number of prefinished hardwood floors for friends and family members with much success, so I am familiar with the basics. Every time, the flooring was installed over the subfloor. My house is a little different. For a couple of important reasons (the most...

Hardwood Flooring [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to remove a surface scratch from white oak hardwood flooring? Thanks

Hardwood flooring [ 5 Answers ]

we have been in the process of remodeling certain parts of our home. we would like actual hardwood, however, the price has kinda discouraged me in doing such. We have come across some hardwood that we like. its the kind you snap in place...? anyway, to get to my point, does anyone know the...

Thickness of Hardwood Flooring [ 1 Answers ]

I want to use Bellawood on my kitchen floor when I remodel it. I'm going to scrape up all the old tile down to the subfloor which is plywood. I was originally looking at 3/4" wood flooring, but this morning I recieved an Email from Lumber Liquidators (Same place I plan on buying anyway) stating...

View more questions Search