Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hausisse Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 07:35 AM
    Confused about an online-ish... relationship.
    Hi. I'm only 16, so sorry, I'm ignorant when it comes to relationships. But I met this guy through a friend online. He's very sweet, we've been talking for a couple of weeks and we have a lot in common- our conversations just seem to flow. I've seen pictures of him, he's cute and he's very attracted to me (and also a hopeless romantic, haha). He started talking to me once a few months ago and I kind of cut it off because he was openly flirting with me, and because I haven't been in a relationship I freaked out and kind of cut it off there. But, as I said, I've been talking to him a lot recently.
    After a day or so I was very physically attracted to him- but the attraction just comes and goes, and it's not there right now. I've told him that I'm very confused about how I feel about him- sometimes I'm crazy about him and sometimes I feel nothing, which frustrates me to no end- and he's very understanding and says that though he'd like very much to be in a relationship with me, he'd be "ecstatic" if I found a guy for me closer to home. (he, uh, lives a few states away.)
    Obviously I haven't met him yet, but I know that even if I wasn't attracted to him, we both agree that we have the potential to be at the very least good friends. Another problem- I probably won't be able to meet him in person until next summer.
    It won't be the end of the world to either of us if we don't turn out to be attracted to each other in person- but I think that I'm trying to see, basically, if we would still have a chance. Because- I was very attracted to him a few weeks ago, and nothing at all has changed, it just sort of... went away?
    Help.

Bee tee dubs, to add, maybe I was in love with the idea of being in love? Does this mean we still have a chance? Aaah. :\
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 07:44 AM

I have to caution you hausisse about on line attachments. Even if the person shows you a pic doesn't mean that is an actual image of that person. This person you are interacting with over the net could be someone trying to lure you; could be an older individual who makes it his hobby; could be a sexual offender.

If I were you I would stop all contact with this individual.

As for your attraction for him coming and going. That is a good indication of your gut instincts tell you there is something wrong going on.

Tick

Aug 7, 2010, 07:48 AM

I have several friends whom I know in person who know and have met him personally, though. :/
    Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hausisse View Post
    I have several friends whom I know in person who know and have met him personally, though. :/
    If that is the case, then you are safe. To answer your question about going hot and cold with him, well you would have to meet him to determine how you actually feel. On line personalities are entirely different from real life.

Tick

Aug 7, 2010, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    if that is the case, then you are safe. To answer your question about going hot and cold with him, well you would have to meet him to determine how you actually feel. On line personalities are entirely different from real life.

tick
    Thank you for your response, that makes sense and I'll take that into consideration. :]
    lonely2010 Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

Aug 7, 2010, 08:10 AM

Agree what tickle said.
    Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 08:19 AM
    Thank you for your response, that makes sense and I'll take that into consideration. :]
    Good luck, hausisse. There are a lot of other fish in the sea. :D
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    good luck, hausisse. There are a lot of other fish in the sea. :D

I agree... :) Keep it fun, have a good time chatting with him, he could become a very good friend. In the meantime, try not to overly think what could be. If by next summer you still want to meet and have the chance, great.

Aug 10, 2010, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    I agree....:) Keep it fun, have a good time chatting with him, he could become a very good friend. In the meantime, try not to overly think what could be. If by next summer you still want to meet and have the chance, great.

... Does this mean we shouldn't try for a relationship at all? :| He knows I'm really confused as to how I feel about him...
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 03:52 PM
    ...Does this mean we shouldn't try for a relationship at all? :| He knows I'm really confused as to how I feel about him...

That's for you to decide, you could and see how things go, but just a few things to think about:

Long distance relationships can be difficult because you miss out on many of the things you would normally get to do together in person. Many adults are not able to keep them going.

As a teen you are going to find many activities that you may want to participate in but are unable to, or you may not feel comfortable doing so, such as dances. You will hear your friends talking about dates they go on and you will be home with your computer.

You can certainly continue talking with him, building a good friendship, and see where it leads. You may find you are not even interested in more than being good friends with him.

Just be careful that you don't tie yourself just to him. That will keep you from being able to see other guys and learning more about what dating is like, what you like in a guy and what you don't like. No doubt he will find other girls at his school that he would like to get to know better too. It wouldn't mean he doesn't like you, just that he would like to be able to participate in dating and activities with someone too.

You said yourself that you are ignorant when it comes to relationships... if you tie yourself to someone you can't even spend time with in person, it will be more difficult to learn all that relationships involve. That is what dating is for... to get to know some different people so that you learn what it really important to you in a relationship and what isn't.

It very well may be that you are "in love" with the idea of being "in love" Hey, having someone flirt with you and showing interest always makes you feel great! He's a nice guy and you like the attention he has shown you. You may be attracted to the attention but not necessarily to him.

Who knows, you may indeed end up together at some point, or you may find you are good friends who can share the ups and downs of dating others.

Aug 10, 2010, 04:25 PM
    Thank you very much. He made it quite clear that he would "keep an open mind if I kept an open mind" regarding seeing other people, which I certainly will. As I said, thank you so so so much for the advice, I can't put into words how much better it makes me feel that somebody else can give me a rational response to the things I'm feeling.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 04:29 PM

We're all happy to help... that's why we are here... :)

Wishing you a fun filled school year!
    IWantToHelp Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2010, 04:19 PM

If your friends know him and you want to meet him, what's stopping you from going out with your friends and him?

Get a webcam ask him to get one too, then you can both see each other and get to know each other better. You'll be able to see his face and he'll be able to see yours. You'll finally find out what he looks like, if he's the person you expected him to be and if you're physically attracted to him or not.

Another thing you could try is, if you know him through a friend then I'm guess your friend has his phone number on their phone. Ask your friend to ring him and then you can talk to him through their phone, without the worry of giving up your personal details.

What ever happens, best of luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 14, 2010, 05:30 PM

I will agree, web cam is a good idea, sadly many guys and gals are not who they say they are on face book and other chat sites.

Many 16 or 18 year old boys turn out to be 40 year old men getting a thrill off flirting with young girls. And many are worst.
    I dated from online contacts some years ago, and 8 out of 10 were nightmares. But then I found my current wife online.

Aug 19, 2010, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IWantToHelp View Post
    If your friends know him and you want to meet him, what's stopping you from going out with your friends and him?
    He goes to a military college in South Carolina. :/ I live in Florida.

Get a webcam ask him to get one too, then you can both see each other and get to know each other better. You'll be able to see his face and he'll be able to see yours. You'll finally find out what he looks like, if he's the person you expected him to be and if you're physically attracted to him or not.
    It's the... the "spark" thing I'm worried about. I felt it a lot at first, and then it kind of went away and came back and went away and came back and disappeared, and he's going through his hazing week there so he can't talk to me and I'm not feeling... anything in the way of a "spark". Just thinking/worrying about him a lot.

Another thing you could try is, if you know him through a friend then I'm guess your friend has his phone number on their phone. Ask your friend to ring him and then you can talk to him through their phone, without the worry of giving up your personal details.

What ever happens, best of luck.

Aug 19, 2010, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I will agree, web cam is a good idea, sadly many guys and gals are not who they say they are on face book and other chat sites.

Many 16 or 18 year old boys turn out to be 40 year old men getting a thrill off of flirting with young girls. And many are worst.
    I dated from online contacts some years ago, and 8 out of 10 were nightmares. But then I found my current wife online.
    Nah, I'm not worried about that, one of my friends is actually his ex-girlfriend. They've met, so it's not that I'm concerned about. :)

Aug 19, 2010, 03:47 PM

Huuuurg I hate having to waaaait~ ahahaha.

Oct 9, 2010, 06:54 AM
    How do you keep yourself from getting bored in a long-distance relationship?
    My boyfriend- or rather, he will be my boyfriend soon- goes to the Citadel. We can't talk during the week outside of texting and Facebook, though we Skype on weekends. Sometimes I just get bored of doing the same things- looking at words and the same pictures of him. I get afraid that since I get a bored it means I'm falling out of love. It's an odd situation because he goes to a military college and all so I can't actually talk to him much, but... does anyone have any tips or pointers? :/ He hasn't gotten bored of me, but I think that's mostly because he's kept so physically and mentally busy all day and night because of the strict and regimented situation at the Citadel he's in.

Oh, and we've been talking since June, I believe.
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2010, 09:15 AM

You've answered your own question... :) HE isn't bored because he keeps so busy with other activities and interests. That would serve you well too!

Get involved in something you enjoy. Plan things with friends and family. Try something new you have always wanted to do. It will not only give you more things to talk to him about, it will help to take your mind of off the two of you being apart.

Long distance relationships can be hard at times. Keeping busy, looking forward to when you can talk, even if only online most of the time, and sharing your day to day "stuff" with him can keep you still feeling connected.

Sure you will have times where you get tired of the same routine, but that does not mean your feelings for him have necssarily changed.

You've only been talking since June. Have you met in person? Is this someone you knew before he went away for school? If you only know him from online, that can make it even more of a challenge. Any plans to meet in person?

You'll have to decide whether this is a relationship you want to pursue. Is it something you want to invest your time and energy into?

Take it slowly... give it time to develop and see where it goes. You will know before long whether there might be more to it and if it is worth the challenges, or if it was a nice relationship but you don't see it lasting long term.
    In which case, you might still talk to him now and then, but you continue to see other people.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 09:39 AM

Until you meet, your only chat/text/web cam buddies who talk, and if I remember right you both have an open mind, as to seeing others. That's good so what you need is a very active and fulfilling social life in reality, where you are, besides this online FRIENDSHIP, so you don't get bored or make this online thing the only thing you look forward to.

My mother once told me long ago that being bored means you're a boring person. So have friends and activities to keep you busy, and happy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make an Online Relationship work? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi. I've been dating this great guy online for a few months. It's been so wonderful. He lives in Washington, and I live in New York. We are going to go on vacation together soon, but there has just been something on my mind that has been killing me. How can I make this relationship work? How can I...

Online relationship. Need some suggestions. [ 35 Answers ]

A lot of merged threads Hi everyone. Here is my situation and I need some help. Recently, I have met this wonderful girl through an online game. Started with flirty emails and then we added each other on messenger. Over the few week's time, I found myself falling for her. She seems to...

Online relationship with an egyptian guy [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I recently met an Egyptian guy through a christian dating site. Although he is egyptian by descent, he told me he has migrated to australia with his parents since he was a child. Things happened too fast between us and now we're exchanging I love you's and planning about future marriage. I...

Left foolish message online for ex.now confused [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I had not initiated contact with my ex-girlfriend, who broke up with me, for seven weeks, when she started to instant message me everyday for eight days in a row. They were not just brief messages, as we would talk for 30 minutes or an hour at a time. She also went way out...

Confused relationship [ 14 Answers ]

Two years ago I met this girl with two kids we hit off real good for the first year.now all the sudden she sleeps on the couch by herself and not in her bed with me.she says it is not me its is her.she was drinking everynite at first thenwanted to have sex all the time.I don't think she ever been...

View more questions Search