Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KSpector Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 06:30 AM
    Long Term Water Heater Shutdown
    My son who lives in VA has a water gas water heater in his house that is probably 25 years old and still working well.

He will be leaving his house vacant for 6 months or more and is concerned about what to do with the water heater. We certainly don't want it to fail/leak while nobody is around. What is the best thing to do?

Should we shut off the water to the heater and shut off the gas?
    Texas Tom Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Dec 19, 2006, 10:35 AM
    Is the water heater inside the house, or in an unconditioned air location like a garage or attic? If in the house, will the house be heated while gone so the pipes/water heater don't freeze?

It's best to turn Off the water inlet & turn Off the gas. Does the heater have a drip pan below it with a drain pipe to the outside or to the plumming drain? The water heater could still possibly leak (low probability) even though it's Off.

Cheers, Tom

Dec 19, 2006, 11:13 AM
    Thanks.
    The water heater is in the basement which is not heated but the heat will be on at some low temp to be sure nothing freezes. In fact he HWH is right next to the furnace.

There is no drip pan but there is a sump (with sump pump) about 10 ft from the HWH. Not sure about the slope of the floor and if any leakage would find its way to the sump.

At least if the water inlet to the heater is off (as well as the gas), even if a leak occurs, it would only be whatever is in the tank.

Thanks again.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 11:47 AM
    Be very careful about shutting off the inlet. Water expands and contracts with temperature change. Something has got to give. Normally this is accommodated by water flowing in and out of the inlet. Unless it is still connected to an expansion tank, shutting the inlet off stops the flow. The pressure valve can let excess water out, but I am not sure it can handle vacuum. You could leave a hot water tap open. Consider draining the tank. A closed volume of water could go foul in 6 months.

And yes, shut off the gas.

Dec 19, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Thanks Labman.. Good thoughts about the expansion issue.

Is it OK to drain the tank? Will a drained tank rust more quicky?

I suppose draining the tank, shutting off the gas and the water inlet is the best option.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 19, 2006, 06:48 PM
    Let me add a bit to everyone's replies. Most water heaters are glass lined so rust won't be a problem. By all means drain the heater and shut the gas off.
    If you're going away the best and cheapest insurance policy is to shut the water off to the house and drain the system down. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm in a long term relationship but like someone else! [ 8 Answers ]

I've been going out with this guy for like... forever... I love him so much... and have done since I met him... but I've started to have feelings for another guy... but he's not just a guy... he's my best friend... I can't stop thinking about him... he's in my mind all the time and I feel guilty...

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why?

Long Term Debt [ 1 Answers ]

What is the financing cost long term debt?

Friends, to long term to ex's [ 10 Answers ]

I love my ex to death, I want him to love me, but were not tougether anymore, I love him with my whole heart, and he's the only boy I've ever wanted to spend my life with, and now he's gone, and I know he's having just a hard time as I am.even when we were dating, he couldn't tell me he loved me....

MS Access - Long Term Varialbe? [ 4 Answers ]

I set up users in a database on a daily basis. There has been a recent change where I need to assign each of them to a number between 800 and 899, in sequential order. How can I do this, using VB or ACCESS, so that the variable isn't lost when the application is closed? In other words, if I add a...

View more questions Search