Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZEBSULEMANI Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 03:07 AM
    Publishing scanned books on web site?
    I want to make a web site for the students, in my country, about english literature.I want to upload scanned copies of all the text books and reference books included in all the syllabus of all the universities of my country.this is not for sale.just to provide students help in their studies.
    This site will also have lectures of professors,notes,syudy guides , etc.
    What about the copy rights of the books?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 1, 2010, 04:21 AM
    That would most likely infringe copyright, you need to contact the rights holders are seek their permission.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2010, 04:25 AM

Yep, The publishers, authors and copyright holders of those books will have the site shut down so fast your head would spin.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2010, 08:02 AM

And they would most likely be sued for the value of every person who "read" the books prior to it being shut down.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2010, 05:51 PM
    Hi, ZEBSULEMANI!

You're thinking about scanning the entire contents of textbooks as well as the entire contents of the reference books. Is that correct, please?

Thanks!

Aug 2, 2010, 05:10 AM
    Yes.of course

Aug 2, 2010, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEBSULEMANI View Post
    yes.of course
    Yes, of course what? Who's response were you responding to? Its helpful, when responding to a thread with multiple answers, that you use the Quote feature to indicate what you are answering.

Did you not understand that what you are proposing is illegal?

Aug 2, 2010, 05:35 AM
    Respected and honorable sir.
    I know its illegal, but I have 3 reasons to ask that.
    1.are all the rules and laws left only for those who ask for permission?I can send you a thousand links on which full illegal contect has been uploaded and any one can download it easily.where is the piracy policy about those?
    2.I read on some law web sites that you can upload book for sharing purpose only and not for profit gaining.thats why I am asking about.
    3.how can we help the students who are unable to buy rather find a book.don't you ever think about them?you must be living in america where life is like a fairy dream,but what about the creepers of the third world?

Aug 2, 2010, 05:47 AM

1. Just because some people break the law and haven't been caught yet does not make it right
    2. I'm not sure what you read, but if an item is under copyright protection it CANNOT be shared without permission
    3. You obviously have a skewed idea of what life in America is like. I can appreciate the issue of poorer students, but that still doesn't justify violating the law.

This site cannot and will not condone or support piracy.

Aug 2, 2010, 06:02 AM
    I know that.but I feel myself justified if I rob a "don" to feed a dying honest poor.anyhow thanks a lot for being there.

Aug 2, 2010, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEBSULEMANI View Post
    i know that.but i feel myself justified if i rob a "don" to feed a dying honest poor.anyhow thanks a lot for being there.
    That goes down a very slippery slope. Where do you draw the line? At what point does it not be OK to play Robin Hood?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Web site [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for a web site to find cleaning services contract

A web site [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my question is Do u know if there's a Web site that we can go & check information about people that have been taken to immigration detention centers in area of Los Angeles? To find out the status of there deportation ? & when are they going to get deported etc.ect..

Setting up web site and web shop [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys. Can anyone tell me the best way to set up a web site with web shop. I have looked online but overloaded with conflicting information. What things do I need and in what order?

Web site help [ 2 Answers ]

A web site has been made and we would like to go in and change pictures and add pictures but have no idea how to do this. Some one else built the site but isn't able to work on it continuosly like we want. We don't know how to do any of it. Mostly focusing on adding pictures and mabye working on...

Wording and layout of a web site- Please suggest Books. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I'm trying to find a book or some sort of info that will teach me the best way to word a web site. Also something that will teach me the best way to lay out a web site. E.g. putting links on certain parts of the page and how many etc. There are some sites that look a lot more...

View more questions Search