Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MizTex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 07:06 PM
    Gas water heater keeps shutting off and its in the attic above our garage.
    Our 12 year old gas water heater keeps shutting off and its in the attic above our garage. One plumber came out and relit it and said that it is because it is hot and humid out and that when the weather is that way he goes all day relighting. How do we prevent this? How do we know if we need a new water heater?
    KansasCity Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2010, 07:21 PM

Have you tried replacing the thermocouple yet? Its either that or you have a strong wind that's blowing the flame out, which could also be from a weak pilot. I would start by replacing the thermocouple, here is instructions on how to do it yourself.
    http://www.americanwaterheater.com/s...t_tc_instr.pdf
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 05:28 AM

Hi MizTex...

Kansas has you headed in the right direction... only issue is that the heater he linked you to is a newer heater, but the thermocouple replacement will be the same on yours... OK?

By the way, extremely hot weather is NOT the issue your plumber presented. In all my years, extreme hot weather has never caused a run on water heater pilots going out! What bunk!

As a rule of thumb at my company if we get a pilot light out we will ALWAYS replace the thermocouple as a first line of defense. We ALWAYS carry universal thermocouples and it usually only takes about 20 minutes to replace one.

If you're handy... replace it yourself. If not, call the plumber back and ask him to install a new thermocouple at a reduced rate as he should probably have replaced it the first vist... ;)

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant Gas Heater shutting off quickly [ 1 Answers ]

I am attemptinh to assist some friends with there Gas Heater. Model # 376cav036096.. Series J. This heater ignites and comes on only after temperature falls into the 50 degree area... once ignited it only burns for less than 1 minute then goes off again. Thermostat is new and seems to be...

Gas fired water heater in garage [ 2 Answers ]

How should gas fired water heater be installed in a garage so that vapors are not ignited?

Shutting off hot water heater and main water supply [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a cabin that has well water and a hot water heater that is run off the oil furnace. I shut off the well tank when I left but forgot to shut off the hot water heater. Does anyone know if I can damage the heater by having the main water shut off and leaving the water heater on?

Water Heater shutting off [ 5 Answers ]

I woke up this morning to luke warm water. I checked the gas water heater and noticed it wasn't running. I didn't smell gas so I flipped the blower motor off and then back on the pilot lit and began to heat the water. When I got home this evening I realized there was no hot water again and found...

View more questions Search