Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaitlyntalley Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 11:18 PM
    How long do I need to wait before I take a pregnancy test with irregular periods?
    I'm a senior this year and my boyfriend and I have been together for 2 yrs. I had a miscarriage last march, and I've had multiple other complications with my reproductive organs since then. We have unprotected sex and I'm not on any type of birth control. My periods are irregular and somewhat spontaneous. I usually start within 28 to 31 days from the beginning of my previous periods. I started my last period on June 23. Today is July 26-day number 33. My head has been hurting and my brests are tender, but I also feel like I'm cramping. I was slightly nauseated yesturday afternoon. How much longer should I wait before takeing a pregnancy test? Please help soon!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 11:24 PM

If your period is late you can try a test now.

If it's negative and you still don't get your period in the next week or two, try another.

Make sure to use first morning urine as it's more accurate.

One question. You're a senior, why are you trying to get pregnant?

Jul 25, 2010, 11:30 PM

I'm not trying to get pregnant. I have multiple problems with my ovaries and cervix. Each time they burn a cancerous cell off my cervix, it decreases my chance of children and, well that is my dream. I want children but I know the risks and probability of me having a child when I'm older is less than 10%.

Jul 25, 2010, 11:34 PM

So you would still recommend me to try a test although my menstual cycle is irregular?
    Pets Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 11:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kaitlyntalley View Post
    so you would still recommend me to go ahead and try a test although my menstual cycle is irregular?
    If you don't test it's just going to stress you out. Stress can make your period late too.

It may be too early to test, but why not? You're late, so go for it.

Like I said, if it's negative, wait another week or two and then try again. Know that some woman don't get a positive result until they're well into their first trimester. You could always go for a blood test at a clinic. That's more accurate than an hpt.

The important thing is to use first morning urine. So take the test as soon as you get up in the morning, first pee.

I'm sorry about your medical issues, but medical science is making many strides. You're pretty young to be considering a child. I know that you feel it may be now or never, but that's not necessarily true. Why make it harder on yourself by doing this now?

A baby is a lot of work, not only physically, but financially, emotionally. It can take a strain on the best relationships, where the two people are both older, financially secure, etc. etc. I was 27, married for 3 years, with my husband for 8 years, both of us had careers, we had a house, two cars and could definitely afford a child. It wasn't easy. It can take a toll. It's even harder when you're younger and can't possibly have any of the things I mentioned.

I'm not trying to lecture you, just giving you the facts. I've seen too many young woman go through with this only to end up in a shack, on welfare, babies daddy gone, doing it all by themselves. That's the statistic norm. Consider that, okay?

We're here if you need to talk.

Take the test and let us know how it goes. Okay?

Jul 26, 2010, 08:38 AM

Thanks. And it may be late because I've been under so much stress lately. I know that this may not be in my best interest, and I know that's it won't be easy on me, but if I am, or if I'm not, I will still finish out school and go to college and live a successful life. Financially, I'm not too worried about this area because he has a job, and I too have income. I know I can't always rely on what's "now" because things have been known to change, but I'm just hoping for the best out of everything. I've decided to wait until Wednesday before I test, which is a week after the "normal 28-day" cycle. Thanks for all of the advice.
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 12:16 PM
    Thanks. And it may be late because I've been under so much stress lately. I know that this may not be in my best interest, and I know that's it won't be easy on me, but if I am, or if I'm not, I will still finish out school and go to college and live a successful life. Financially, I'm not too worried about this area because he has a job, and I too have income. I know I can't always rely on what's "now" because things have been known to change, but I'm just hoping for the best out of everything. I've decided to wait until Wednesday before I test, which is a wk after the "normal 28-day" cycle. Thanks for all of the advice.
    You're welcome, and I wish you all the best, no matter what the outcome.

Please let us know how it turns out. :)

Jul 26, 2010, 07:26 PM

Well, I kept thinking about this and I talkd to my boyfriend about it some more and we just decided to take the test because we were anxious to know. It was possitive!! :) we are extremely excited and hope everything works out for us this time. Thanks for your support.
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 08:09 PM
    well, I kept thinking about this and I talkd to my boyfriend about it some more and we just went ahead and decided to take the test because we were anxious to know. It was possitive!!!! :) we are extremely excited and hope everything works out for us this time. Thanks for your support.
    I truly wish you all the best. Please make an appointment with your doctor as soon as you can. With your medical issues you want him to be aware of this from minute one so he/she can monitor the pregnancy.

Also, start taking prenatal vitamins right away. All pharmacies should have them, they're over the counter and very important.

We're here if you have any questions, concerns, or just want to talk.

I'm glad this turned out the way you wanted it to. Congrats. :)

Jul 27, 2010, 12:11 AM

Thanks so much. I intend to proceed with caution in all my decisions because I'm so anxious. We are making an appt tomorrow and I will start on the vitamins soon. And again, thank you.
    Pets Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 12:32 AM
    thanks so much. I intend to proceed with caution in all my decisions because I'm so anxious. We are making an appt tomorrow and I will start on the vitamins soon. And again, thank you.
    You're very welcome. :)

Keep me posted, let me know how things go. There's a great support system on this site. We even have a labor and delivery nurse here, she's very helpful and can answer many of the questions you may have in the upcoming months.

Any time you have any questions, just ask. If you just need to talk, just ask. This site is full of amazing people, so I hope you come back and keep us updated. :)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2010, 04:46 PM
    well, I kept thinking about this and I talkd to my boyfriend about it some more and we just went ahead and decided to take the test because we were anxious to know. It was possitive!!!! :) we are extremely excited and hope everything works out for us this time. Thanks for your support.

Wishing you a smooth pregnancy... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do I have to wait to take a pregnancy test [ 9 Answers ]

Ive heard that you should take a pregnancy test first thing in the morning, but I've also heard you shouldn't. So which is it?? :confused:

Irregular periods, and pregnancy symptoms, but negative pregnancy test at home [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, Im 19 and I have had irregular periods since January of 09 My last normal period was on Nov 24 of 08 and then I was 13 days late for my period and it was really light. The next month I was only three days late, but my period was barely there. I have been experiencing many signs of pregnance,...

Irregular periods and pregnancy tests [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, my husband and I tried to get pregnant for four years and then we finally did and we had a son... now we have been trying for 10 months again and nothing has happened yet... I have irregular periods which I may get every 3 to 4 months and they last about 14 to 17 days... but on Dec.27, I had a...

Irregular periods and pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

I can off the contraceptive implant in feb. while on this I had irregular periods every 2/3mths. Before the implant had regular periods every 32 days so know is poss. Am trying to get pregnant got loads of symptoms like breast tenderness, emotional, fatigue , strange eating habits etc. done...

Irregular periods and pregnancy [ 2 Answers ]

My partner and I have been trying to get pregnant for only the past two months really and ii know its not long or anything but should ii be worried because ii have irregular periods? Will ii be able to have kids? How can ii help myself relax and not stress so much about having a baby? So maybe ii...

View more questions Search