Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ehart3006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2010, 09:07 AM
    my 21 year old daughter, is dating a girl
    How do I parent my 21 year old daughter, who has come back from a year studying abroad with ideas and values regarding sexuality, politics & recreational drug use that completely conflict with the values she was raised with. As hard as it is to accept these new ideas of hers, I still love her and want to see her finish school before she moves out of the house. But I can not accept her bringing these new friends home and exposing her younger sister to this lifestyle choice. I have always thought of myself as being an accepting person but for some reason I am having trouble accepting this with open arms. My daughter has one year of college left. Should I give in to this or should I hold my gound and not allow her to bring this into my home.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2010, 09:11 AM

Your daughter is going to be who she is and your younger daughter will to, regardless of your intolerance for 'alternative lifestyles'. Love your children for who they are, for ultimately, you cannot control or change it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2010, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ehart3006 View Post
    How do I parent my 21 year old daughter??? Should I give in to this or should I hold my gound and not allow her to bring this into my home.
    Hello e:

You don't. She's an adult. Your job is done. If you want her as a friend, don't make preconditions on her friendship. If you want to "stand your ground", do it. But, everybody I've ever "stood my ground" with disappeared from my life never to be seen again. Do you want that?

excon
    clam0391 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 06:28 AM

I think you have a right to decide who comes into your home; but your daughter is too old to be "parented", so if you do not like your daughter's lifestyle happening in your home, you will have to tell her she is not welcome, or at least her friends are not welcome. A pretty difficult thing to do, I guess.
    If you accept her in your home, you have to accept her lifestyle and trust that your younger daughter is going to be OK with it. She probably will have no problems, even if she doesn't follow it herself.

I am English, and an Englishman's home is his castle, as they say. I have a right to decide who enters and who stays in my house, and I have to assume you agree with that. You have to make up your mind - a difficult choice I know - then apply it. Depending on what is your decision, your daughter may not like it but since she's an adult she will have to like it or lump it.
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Jul 24, 2010, 06:57 AM

Always remind her of the core values she has been raised with. The fact you still hold these values holds weight. She will be reminded of the importance. This is called having faith in these beliefs.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2010, 03:12 PM

Have a mother /daughter chat to her.

Explain that you know that she is her own person and is now an adult able to make her own decisions in life.

Tell her that you disagree with her values on drugs etc... but that you are sure that she is perfectly capable of making her own decisions on these matters.

I think you have to say that you cannot allow these issues of drugs etc.. To go on in the house in front of her sister and that you are sure that she doesn't want that either, so could she when at home not bring these things into the house as it is totally against what you believe ,fearing that it may influence her sister.

Unfortunately there is not an easy way of saying this, but I feel that it needs to be said, if it is not then I can for see lots of tension which will lead to huge arguments in the end.

Better to be upfront, rather than allowing a situation to develop.
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Jul 27, 2010, 02:25 PM

Hi OP I can see your point, and understand why you feel as you do.

However, what your daughter becomes and the choices she makes are a direct reflection of how she was taught about life skills when growing up.

So her choices are made on that basis or mainly, you don't have to accept how she chooses to live her life and if you aren't happy with her choices, then you don't have to accept them, you could just tell her, if that's how you choose to live then that's fine however I am not agreeable to that lifestyle and would prefer you didn't bring it into this house.

Remind her drugs are illegal and she is not to bring them into your home.

Tell her what she's does whilst away from your home is her business but you aren't willing to condone those things so can she please accept this.

Let her know you still love her, but you're not willing to take risks of having your place raided for drugs etc.

With her choice of sexual preferences then you do need to try to accept that that's also her choice, and on this issue you will need to either accept it, or reject it.

This could all just be a phase she's going through and she could be totally different in a couple of years time. If it isn't then you'll have to either go for not having her around or let her find out that's its not a good way to live ( as in drug use) again it could just be she's experimenting with different areas of growing up.

If you forbid her from doing these things, you'll mostly push her more towards them, so try to keep your thoughts mainly to yourself, just let her know its her life she has to accept she's responsible.

You cannot shield your other daughter either, she will discover them regardless.

Good Luck and I hope this helps in some way...
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 04:16 PM

The values you raise your children with may or may not be the values they choose to live by when they become adults, which your daughter is now.

As excon stated ,standing your ground can drive them away, which I agree with and have seen happen.

The drug use should not be allowed in your home or around the younger siblings , as an adult she should realize this without it being said , but if need be then do it.

As for the lifestyle, maybe if you showed some tolerance and met the people in her life it may lead to a more understanding attitude and make it easier to accept. You may try to understand her point of view, but remember ,tolerance is to tolerate , not necessarily like or accept it.
    And the more knowledge you gain about it the better decisions you can make.

I wish you well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am 26 year old girl dating a 18 year old boy, is that wrong? [ 17 Answers ]

I am a 26 year old lady and I am considering dating an 18 year old guy. I just wanted to know what you all think. Is it wrong? He has no problem but his mom do. She thinks I will end up using her son and believe me that is not my intention. Any advice?

Need help with a 16 year old daughter dating a 22 year old man [ 44 Answers ]

My 16 year old daughter is dating a 22 year old man he lives next door and he is a bum he has no job and doesn't even leave his house only to sign on to get his benefits she was dating him when she was 15 and I thought I put a stop to it and as soon as she went 16 in April this year they got back...

Should a felon who's 23 that's dating my 16 year old daughter be respected by me? [ 7 Answers ]

My 16 year old daughter is dating a 23 year old convicted felon, who is currently serving more time... she insists that I should "respect" him, for her sake? Short of killing her, or him, does anyone have any suggestions? Keep in mind, please, that my daughter is no angel, and hasn't been since...

My daughter dating an 18 year old [ 58 Answers ]

My sixteen year old daughter is dating an eighteen year old man. She told me they were having protected sex! Is that OK? Is that even legal? He's an adult and she is just a miner! I mean I like this boy, he would never do anything to hurt my daughter so I don't want to get him in trouble so I want...

View more questions Search