Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pumpkinpatch Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2010, 11:58 AM
    Please help, trying to conceive after miscarriage.. need tips!!
    Hello all...
    My husband and I are currently trying to conceive after losing our first pregnancy to miscarriage in may of this year. It's been difficult to accept what happened, and after trying again after my first period and not conceiving, we're even more desperate to try again right away and become parents. Ive been reading up on some things and have some concerns as to what I should and should not be eating as a part of my fertility diet. I drank allot of orange juice (100%, not orange flavored drink) when we were trying again the firs time, and came across some things that said to actually avoid orange juice as well as pineapple and papaya. I can understand the pineapple, as I contains a substance that causes contractions and can inhibit implantation, but as far as I knew, orange juice is full of folic acid and vitamin c, and all kinds of good stuff.. my concern is that maybe that it could cause my cervical mucous to be too acidic to sustain the life of the sperms.. anyone know anything about that??

I have continued to take my prenatal vitamin, even after the miscarriage to today, and will continue to take it until I hold a healthy baby in my arms. I started taking whey protein with it as well, as I don't eat allot of meat and know that protein is something I need. But another thing I read is that whey protein can actually act as or increase testosterone in women, and inhibit conception.. is that true.. I've stopped taking it since then and started eating more meat and eggs to ensure I have enough. But I also read that plant protein is much better, and a mainly vegetarian diet is ideal for conception. Everything I have read has been contradicting in some way, and to follow one thing I am forced to go against another.. it's all so confusing, but I want to have the best start to my next pregnancy as possible and a soon as possible.

If anyone could give me some tips on what is true and what isn't I'd greatly appreciate it..

Or any tips to help raise fertility would help immensely.

Thanks so much..

pumpkinpatch
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 22, 2010, 12:07 PM

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. My first two pregnancies were a loss, and I lost my daughter's twin as well, so I can understand your frustration.

The orange juice, in my opinion, is a very wise choice. I drank TONS while trying and then while pregnant and I believe it helped. Grapefruit juice helps increase fertile cervical mucus, so I drank that as well, and it did help a bit. Taking prenatals is VERY wise of you. :)

In all honesty, my best advice is to relax and enjoy the process. Stress can have poor affects on fertility, so try to keep it as minimal as possible.

I was the same as you, very anxious and trying lots of homeopathic suggestions. The fact is, going to the doctor to discuss my own health issues and finally "giving up" to fate is what helped us conceive a healthy child. After speaking with my doctor, it was discovered that I had a progesterone difficiency and an auto-immune disorder. A few simple changes and I conceived quickly.

How long have you been trying? Have you spoken to a doctor yet?

On average, it takes a healthy couple up to 1 year to conceive. The fact is, that microscopic sperm has to find a microscopic egg... nothing short of a miracle! Each cycle you try, only means there is a 20% chance of concieving.

If you haven't already, schedule a pre-conception appointment with your OB and go from there. :)

Good luck!
    Survivor

Jul 22, 2010, 12:08 PM

P.S. I also recommend the book: Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Its wonderful :)
    pumpkinpatch Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2010, 12:18 PM

We actually started trying to conceive the month before I found out I was pregnant.. so I got pregnant on the first try.
    You should have seen the look on my doctors face when I told her that..
    After the miscarriage.. I took my doctors advice and waited until after my first period. I got my second period about a week ago, so it hasn't been that long.
    I know it could take some time..
    My doctor is aware that we're trying again.. I had all the checkups following my miscarriage, does that count as a preconception visit..

Thanks so so much
    Survivor

Jul 22, 2010, 12:22 PM

Good for you for taking the right steps to try for a baby. So many girls here do not consult doctors or get appropriate medical care.

Of course I can't say for sure, but since you conceived very quickly, I'd suggest you keep doing whatever you had been doing. ;)

If it gets to another 6 months with no results, you could ask your doctor for advice. Just remember, it may not happen as quickly as before. Each month brings a different story. GL!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Threatened miscarriage or misdiagnosed miscarriage? [ 3 Answers ]

I've just recently found out I was pregnant, my period was NOT late yet, but I had light spotting and had high hopes so I took a cheap hpt and it showed up positive(My LMP was 10/20/08). The following day I went to the woman's clinic, I was confirmed pregnant. My OBGYN sent me to a lab for blood...

Lightening dyed hair tips (tips are almost black) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have medium auburn hair naturally. I dyed my hair a dark auburn but there is a section of my hair where the tips (two inches from root to tip) is almost black. I want to lighten these tips. Would using Peroxide Volume 20 mixed with shampoo do this?

Trying to conceive [ 4 Answers ]

I have been on depo for 5 years but been off it since June 09. I have had 3 nomral menstral cycles since then. Me and my fiancé is trying to conceive but not having any luck. Is there a way I can get pregnant?

Trying to conceive [ 1 Answers ]

Will Kama Sutra brand edible oil used for oral sex inhibit conception the same way most lubricants can? I'm asking if it harms sperm if you are trying to conceive. It's not being used as a lubricant, just for tastier foreplay.

Trying to conceive #1 [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone had any luck with Clomid? Any one with success or failures please post! And if you conceived how long did it take? I was just put on Clomid

View more questions Search