Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deathlywhiterose Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Jul 22, 2010, 09:49 AM
    Publishing Short Stories
    My dream is to be a published novelist someday, but I know that I can't just jump into that right away. I have a novel in the works, but getting an unsolicited manuscript published is no small task. I need an agent. And to get a decent agent, I have to get something published.

The answer to this is, as far as I'm concerned, is to publish short stories in literary magazines. The only problem is: there are so many magazines out there. I don't know where to send my material, and I don't know how to narrow it down. The only advice I've ever received on this matter was "send your stories to a magazine that publishes similar material."

That's not the only thing that maters though. How do I know that a magazine is reputable in the writing community? How do I narrow it down further one I get to 4 or 5 magazines that publish similar stories to mine? And most magazines only specify that they publish, poetry, fiction, or nonfiction (or any combination thereof). To know what type of fiction stories a magazine publishes, I"d have to purchase a copy of the magazine, and its financially unfeasible for me to purchase one of every literary magazine. Or is there an easier way to figure this out that no one's ever told me?

Also, if anyone can suggest a specific literary magazine to me, that would be infinitely helpful. As for the kind of stories I write, they are suspense. Quite similar to the type of fiction that Stephen King writes. My work isn't exactly like his, but I he's the closest that I can think of.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 05:42 PM

Honestly, having short stories published is not the key to getting a novel published. Short stories, particularly literary short stories, have a completely different approach to popular novels.

This is particularly true if you write suspense, which is not a genre which works well as a short story.

If you want to check out magazines, try your local library. Most libraries have magazines either on the racks, or in archives. Read to see what looks like your standard.

However, I honestly think that if you want to write a novel, that's what you should be doing. Finish your novel, then do back and rewrite, edit and rewrite again. Get it as good as you possibly can, especially the opening pages and chapters.

I've talked to a lot of people in publishing (because I'm trying to publish my own novel), and they all say the same thing. They do want to find the next big thing, but they generally know within a couple of pages if your novel is it. One man, who founded and owns one the biggest publishers in the country, told me that most editors will decide after three paragraphs if they are interested in the story.

Some publishers will accept unsolicited manuscripts, as long as they conform to all the submission guidelines. The first three chapters and a synopsis is usual, but always check. If you've written a brilliant story, no-one cares if you've had short stories published. If your story is not so hot, it won't matter if you've been published in the New Yorker.

I'm a journalist who has made my living as a professional writer for over 20 years, and I've won several prizes for short stories. When I submit my novel, it still has to stand on its own merits. This is equally true if you are submitting to publishers or agents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Four short stories [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all!! Need help, I used to watch this horror movie that contained 4 short stories... All I remember is one is about a cat that smoothers in your sleep and another is about mummies... Can't remember the other two... Please help with the title of this movie

Children's movie or short stories [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry this is going to be very vague, but I've been looking for this for months. All I can remember is this one sceen involving a little girl being chased by a giant of some sort, when she comes a river or lake and she crosses it. After she crosses the water she skips a rock back toward the giant...

I'm trying to remember who wrote these short stories. [ 2 Answers ]

I think they were in Ray Bradbury books of short stories but I'm not sure. I was a teen when I read them and I'm almost sure he was the author. One was about a man that gets off a train intending to murder a complete stranger just to see how it feels. Then he meets another man at the station who...

Does anyone write short stories? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I write a lot of short stories. It is so much fun. I put them on the internet for all to read. There is a special place on the net you can write your stories. We all compare our stories and talk about them. Mine are fiction so far. Just wanted to know if there is anyone out there who likes...

View more questions Search