Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2010, 04:03 PM

Okay. But what about the suffering she went through as the maggots ate her flesh?
    MariaBir Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jul 19, 2010, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    A lot of inconsistencies, which is why we're all questioning what really happened.

But then all of a sudden there is a vet.

I did research on the internet and called one up - drove into town and got the supposed medication... which was really a disinfectant for wounds - there were no wounds - even the chemist gave me the wrong info - and that's when let's say I started contacting this site - going crazy running in and out - basically ran out and gave all my attention to our dog - hours of washing with rubber gloves - wiping the maggots off her fur - billions - they hadn't gotten to her skin yet.

But then there aren't any vets.

Believe you don't know what state I was in - I got bit by her - had to find out where the closest first aid hospital was - the telephone line wasn't working and the mobiles don't really work well. Finally got an emergency line on and off to find out that there is one over half an hour away. On the way to the hospital to get my mind off the pain I called the telephone company to tell them that my line wasn't working and I had a damn problem of emergency. Well to make a long story short helicopters, police, and ambulances were sent out to look for us.... Misinterpretation....
    We had mega problems.... And then apparently I found out the tel. lines weren't working at all in the town. Got back in the evening and I still went on the computer with pain to look for some kind result. So I continued researching.... kept on checking on my dog who was too far away from a water front - she wouldn't move - and stayed just by the gate.

Then again, there are. Unless OP was planning on euthanizing the dog herself.

What are you saying here????? Be careful......

Apparently at one time they did have a vet, one that doesn't believe in euthanasia.

I'm sorry if I confused you in my stories ....

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss, but I don't think we're getting the whole story. Also, maggots do not infest healthy animals. Age has nothing to do with it. The only way that maggots would infest your dog is if there was a wound present. A wound, with proper treatment, can be healed.

She was covered all over except her head....didn't see any wounds

The discrepancy about vets in your area just makes me uneasy.

I'm not trying to be mean, it's too late now anyway, but I don't think we were told the whole truth in this matter, and the whole truth is what we need in order to help.

Yes, I think you're mean - you don't even realize what I went through.

Sorry for your loss. Please, don't get another dog if you cannot or will not get the dog the necessary medical care it needs to have a full happy life.
    I'm not planning to, and please do be careful of how you write, you tend to scare people off and I noticed I'm not the first person you treat like this. I hope this never happens to you. Yes it's unbelievable what happened to us - but do you believe in destiny????? We were planning to put her to sleep if she was still alive the following morning, but thank God she fell asleep for good - it was all so quick.

I can't believe how cruel people can be - figures.....

Jul 19, 2010, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Okay. But what about the suffering she went through as the maggots ate her flesh?
    From what I saw they hadn't gotten to her flesh yet - and I was so worried about it.

Jul 19, 2010, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    And how did it get this bad without anyone noticing it? I notice the dog "wouldn't come near the house."

Outside dog?

Too late and no point in judging but I've had old, debilitated dogs and I've never had these problems.

Yikes!

I am also concerned about the waiting for the dog to die part. How many days/hours did this dog suffer? I really don't care what other people in this particular Country do but I do care what happened to this dog.
    She was an outside dog - she wouldn't come back close to the house after all the washing I was doing on her and also after she bit me - let's say put a firm hold on my hand - which caused wounds. At 4-5 am we realized that she wouldn't make it. The morning before - she was just sleeping and I was horrified when I opened the bathroom window to see all these flies on her and immediately I went to wash her - not realizing that there were maggots crawling all over her. Apparently it all started in the morning.

Jul 19, 2010, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    How did the dog become infested with maggots in the first place?
    I was told it's quite common when an animal is about to die that the flies attack it.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2010, 04:30 PM

.. But doesn't it take a day or so for the maggots to develop?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 19, 2010, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    .. But doesnt it take a day or so for the maggots to develop??
    "A female fly lays 100 to 150 white eggs--tiny things that look like long-grain rice. A half a day later if the weather's hot, the hundred or so eggs hatch into cream-white wiggly worm-like creatures called maggots."

Flies lay eggs in open wounds, in feces, in blood and other body fluids -- anything that will nourish the maggots that hatch. A friend had a husky who lived outside, became ill, and ended up lying in his own feces. That area became infected. Flies laid eggs, maggots hatched, and before long, the poor dog's side and backside were covered with maggots. He had to be euthanized.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2010, 04:54 PM

Thanks Wondergirl.. I found some info as well --

•It takes eight to 20 hours for maggots to hatch from their eggs, and they are about 2 mm long when they emerge.
    Growth
    •Maggots go through a total of three instars (stages between molts). Going from the first to second instar takes 24 hours, during which time the maggot will grow to be about 5 mm long. Second-instar maggots grow to be about 10 mm in 24 hours and then molt into their third-instar, growing to 15 to 20 mm in 48 hours.

How Soon Do Maggots Form After Death? | eHow.com

Hmm... 20 hours before maggots even hatch...

No one on here is intending to be rude or mean to you. But when you post something stating that your dog is covered in maggots and you watched her die.. Well.. That's just cruel to the animal. Putting a bullet in the dogs head would probably have been more humane then allowing the animal to suffer and finally die due to the maggots eating it alive. I'm sure you gave your best efforts.. but the result is the dog died and horrible death. I'm pretty sure being eaten alive, infested and dirty was not a "peaceful" parting with this world.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2010, 04:57 PM

First, your attack on my colleague, "Alty," is totally unwarranted. She tells it like she sees it and, quite frankly, your story is full of inconsistencies. If anyone posts and then can't handle the answers, then they shouldn't post at all.

Destiny? The dog was going to humanely euthanized in the morning but instead died alone during the night, infested with maggots?

I thought your "argument" that you treat your dogs better than other people in Italy treat their dogs to be rather unmoving - it's the old "I'm bad but he's worse" argument that I hear in Court.

If I wasn't sickened before, I am now.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 19, 2010, 10:57 PM

I'm not planning to, and please do be careful of how you write, you tend to scare people off and I noticed I'm not the first person you treat like this. I hope this never happens to you. Yes it's unbelievable what happened to us - but do you believe in destiny?? We were planning to put her to sleep if she was still alive the following morning, but thank God she fell asleep for good - it was all so quick.

I can't believe how cruel people can be - figures...
    You have a right to your opinion. Ny main concern was the dog, and whether she suffered. I don't have a lot of sympathy for a human that allows a dog to die a slow painful death. I realize you claim that you didn't have any choices, but I think Lucky put it best, that a bullet to the head would have been more humane than being eaten alive.

Why you're so mad that I pointed out the inconsistencies in your posts, I don't know. I also find it amusing that I was singled out as the bad guy when everyone else was also questioning your story.

I don't understand why you said this;

What are you saying here?? Be careful...
    When I was pointing out the inconsistencies in your story and asked how you were going to euthanize your dog without a vet. You have now clarified that there is not vet in your area, so how would the dog be put to sleep the next morning, which is what you said you planned on doing? Why do I have to be careful when asking this?

Anyway, it's done, there's no point rehashing everything, I think we all just wanted some answers because there were so many parts of you posts that didn't make sense and were inconsistent.

Again, I'm sorry for you loss. I'll close this thread now.
    Pets Expert

Jul 19, 2010, 10:58 PM

Thread closed. We did our best.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 07:48 AM

Alty I am re opening this thread, only because I received a PM from Maria, and I wanted to share it with the rest of you guys, if she will allow me to do so.

Maria I tried to reply, but your settings are not allowing you to receive private messages.

I am going to respond here. I hope you will allow me to post your message Maria.

Hi Maria. I am SO sorry about your dog, I truly am. It sounds like you are very heart broken about the loss of your pet. I am sorry his life ended that way.

It's hard for us to answer questions like those, we get so many people on this site, who just don't care about their animals. We LOVE animals and we truly care about their well being, even though we have never met them. A lot of us on AMHD work for local animal shelters where people drop off sick dogs, beaten and starved dogs, with no regard, and we have to watch these animals suffer and usually end up getting put to sleep. Dying alone, confused and heart broken for their families. And it's heart breaking. Our only concern is for those dogs.

Please understand, we were being harsh because we love animals and to see them suffer, is torture for us. I am sorry you had a bad experience on the internet. I hope you will stick around. Please give us another chance. Please understand that it wasn't you personally, and sometimes our passion gets a hold of us.

It's hard for us to understand, especially since we live in complete different countries.

Please forgive me, if I hurt you, that was not my intention. My intentions were to help your dog. You were in a terrible situation, that I would NEVER wish on any body. Again, I ask you to give our site another chance.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 08:11 AM

I also tried to respond - we probably got the same PM.

I feel VERY badly that the OP had to explain herself. As I wrote her (but could not send) the word MAGGOTS sent a shockwave through the Board. I trust that "we" all do what is best for our pets.

I also told her I had 3 dogs euthanized in 18 months because there was no other humane choice so I know how losing a pet hurts.

I trust she knew what was best for her dog and acted accordingly but that she also understands her posts were difficult to understand.

I also said I hope she sticks around - we DO get questions from other Countries with different "standards" of care and her input will be helpful.

And, again, the word MAGGOTS jumped out in living color!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 08:49 AM

Maria, I am sorry for what you have been through. Know that she is at rest now.

A quick note about flies: Different flies have different hatching times and temperatures can greatly affect how long it takes. Sometimes, it's only 10 hours in warmer conditions. Bottle Fly Life Cycle
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2010, 09:39 AM

Maria, Most of us here love our dogs, and would like to think of ourselves as responsible owners who MIGHT have done things a little differently. But, I simply choose not to judge you, or your situation, because I have no idea what you went through including being bitten.

This is an excellent site. We members have a tendency to be passionate about our critters. Give us another chance.

I'm sorry for your loss. God bless you.
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 11:07 AM

I received the PM as well and would like to apologize to Maria. Like the others have said, the word Maggots just sent a shock through me, and when we were told the dog had passed away, my only thought was that she suffered because of the maggots.

It's often hard to read intention when it's the written word. I should have known better and given you the benefit of the doubt. I'm so sorry if what I wrote sounded harsh in any way, I realize that's how you took my posts, but honestly, being mean was not my intention. I'm a very blunt person, especially when it comes to animals in trouble. I just wanted some answers because a lot of what you wrote didn't make sense. I should have taken into account that you were frantic looking for help for you dog, and not concerned with every little detail.

We get so many posts by people that have very sick animals, but even though there is a vet nearby, they're unwilling to go. After 1000's of posts like those, when you hear that a vet isn't possible, you just assume that it's because the owner won't go. I should know better than to assume, and I'm very sorry that I did so in this case.

I hope you come back. I hope that you can accept my apology, and I truly am very sorry for the loss of your dog.

All the best to you.

Jul 20, 2010, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Alty I am re opening this thread, only because I revived a PM from Maria, and I wanted to share it with the rest of you guys, if she will allow me to do so.

Maria I tried to reply, but your settings are not allowing you to revive private messages.

I am going to respond here. I hope you will allow me to post your message Maria.

Hi Maria. I am SO sorry about your dog, I truly am. It sounds like you are very heart broken about the loss of your pet. I am sorry his life ended that way.

It's hard for us to answer questions like those, we get so many people on this site, who just don't care about their animals. We LOVE animals and we truly care about their well being, even though we have never met them. A lot of us on AMHD work for local animal shelters where people drop off sick dogs, beaten and starved dogs, with no regard, and we have to watch these animals suffer and usually end up getting put to sleep. Dying alone, confused and heart broken for their families. And it's heart breaking. Our only concern is for those dogs.

Please understand, we were being harsh because we love animals and to see them suffer, is torture for us. I am sorry you had a bad experience on the internet. I hope you will stick around. Please give us another chance. Please understand that it wasn't you personally, and sometimes our passion gets a hold of us.

It's hard for us to understand, especially since we live in complete different countries.

Please forgive me, if I hurt you, that was not my intention. My intentions were to help your dog. You were in a terrible situation, that I would NEVER wish on any body. Again, I ask you to give our site another chance.
    Thank you - but people should be careful on what they say and don't be harsh - I know it wasn't everyone - but please do understand one may never know the situation the person/s are going through

Jul 20, 2010, 12:21 PM

Just wanted to tell you that my dog died of old age, and the process of the flies was due because they attack old bodies that are about to die (various doctors confirmed the fact). Fortunately I kind of stopped them from penetrating into her skin - they were in her fur. I drove down to the pharmacy to ask for any remedy against flies - they said there use to be a flea collar even against flies but it was taken off the market. I had asked in the past for this remedy in Vet pharmacies and basically there is a big problem against flies - looks like the products used for flies are extremely harmful to animals. The past 2 years she had problems with maggots - but they were in her wounds- which were pulled out one by one and the wound was medicated. So believe me after these past experiences I always checked her out. This usually happened in the month of September. She was under constant control - due to my paranoia. I've done a deep study on maggots and talking on Sunday to a friend - she's having a maggot problem for a long time and I told her to go to a vet and put the dog to sleep. I was shocked that someone thought that we would do it ourselves. We catch every living thing and let it loose - except for ants, mosquitoes, in these cases flies, flea and maggots... and accidentally other insects. I wouldn't have another dog - at least for a long time - most probably when I retire and can dedicate all my time to them without going to work... I've had 5 healthy dogs which none died - due to illnesses. If one has a remedy against flies (which cause maggots)- besides keeping the animal clean - I can inform the Vet pharmacy in my area.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MariaBir View Post
    I'm not planning to, and please do be careful of how you write, you tend to scare people off and I noticed I'm not the first person you treat like this. I hope this never happens to you. Yes it's unbelievable what happened to us - but do you believe in destiny????? We were planning to put her to sleep if she was still alive the following morning, but thank God she fell asleep for good - it was all so quick.

I can't believe how cruel people can be - figures.....

Sorry Maria.. I am.
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 12:29 PM

she's having a maggot problem for a long time and I told her to go to a vet and put the dog to sleep. I was shocked that someone thought that we would do it ourselves.
    I just want to point out that the only reason I asked if you were going to euthanize the dog yourself is because you said there aren't any vets. How can a vet do it if there isn't a vet?

I'm still confused about the vet issue. This is the only reason I had any problems with your postings. I really wish we knew for sure if there are or aren't vets. If there aren't, then how will your friend go to one to put her dog to sleep?

Do you understand that it's confusing?

It doesn't matter in the long run, I apologized for any misunderstanding, and now I'll walk away.

I wish you all the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What does it mean when your dog has maggots in their ear [ 23 Answers ]

Ok so my dog has maggots in her wound and they all go up to her ear I'm only 11 and my dad is so lazy and won't do anything about it we don't have money and I tried going around my block to ask people to donate and I got $20 so as I was saying they go up her ear and she has yellow stuff that looks...

How can I get rid of dog smell in house? Dog odour [ 17 Answers ]

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get dog odour from the house? Laminate and carpet flooring.

How to get my natural colour back and how to get rid of this pimple marks [ 5 Answers ]

When I was small I had very good colour{totally fair} but as my age incresed I lost my colour day by day and in middle I got some pimples. And my mom did fingering in those pimples and I got that pimple marks on my face. Iwant my colour back and get this marks out of my face suggest sum ideas for...

Natural diet of my dog [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am looking for a good natural diet for my little dog which has a bowel problem . I am running out of ideas Meiko is a 7yr old Cain Terrier with a inflamed or irritable bowel and would l eat anything He is eating a mix of brown whole grain rice , sweet potato , and Wellness Core...

Natural ways to get rid of Depression [ 19 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew any natural ways to get rid of depression. I have a friend that is very depressed and I'm trying to help him out and I don't want him to get on anti-depressants because they're the leading cause of suicide (im not positive but I think). Anyway, any tips would be great.

View more questions Search