Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greatshopper Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 05:47 PM
    Male dog peeing
    I have a total of FOUR Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (1 - Fixed female, age 13, 1 , age 2, and two 11 month old puppies, one male and one female)

I'm having a devil of a time with the MALE puppy... no matter what I do, he continually marks their sleeping blankets. What can I do? He is healthy as a horse... and is driving me nuts with his peeing! He doesn't know to lift his leg, but he's always christening blankets - including the one on my bed last night.

HELP... what do I need to do? How can I stop him from this awful habit? This is the first MALE I've ever owned and have never had this problem with any of my 10+ past females. Is this a normal male trait? I'm not planning on neutering him... he's a gorgeous RUBY male and intend to stud him - he has tremendous breeding.

Please provide your advise and answers... I'm very frustrated and he (and I) need your help.

Regards,
    DJ
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2006, 09:39 PM
    Neuter him now. He isn't fit for breeding just as his father likely wasn't. People keep using ill behaved dogs as breeding stock and then wonder why they have behavior problems. Is it too late to demand the breeder take him back as defective? How much research did you do other than observing he is a ''gorgeous RUBY male''? What other problems may be common in his line?

Well bred males don't mark in the house even if unneutered. We have plenty of healthy, well behaved dogs. No need to allow others to perpetuate their defects.

Here is advice I give people looking for a pet:

Maybe ask to visit the breeders home. Field and show champions can be bred
    In kennels. Dogs where the mother lives in the house have the best
    Personalities. Some kids to fondle the puppies from birth are better yet. If
    The breeder doesn't want the parents in their house, do you want the offspring
    In yours? Spend as much time with the parents as you can. Nice parents don't
    Guarantee nice puppies, but don't chance bad parents. Of course ask about hip
    And eye certification or other genetic problems common to your breed too.
    know it not Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2006, 09:37 AM
    Yes I know its wrong but some dog need to learn its like spanking I'm not for it but what do you think would be axceptible for this the dog needs to learn that its wrong to do it but I wasn't talking about beating the dog but to give him a reminder that its wrong to pee on stuff in the house but a cannel with new paper would work and when you think he need to pee take him out side so he will learn:cool:

Dec 15, 2006, 11:43 AM
    Labman... you sure are harsh and extremely opinionated.

"Neuter him now. He isn't fit for breeding just as his father likely wasn't. People keep using ill behaved dogs as breeding stock and then wonder why they have behavior problems. Is it too late to demand the breeder take him back as defective? How much research did you do other than observing he is a ''gorgeous RUBY male''? What other problems may be common in his line?"

I have NO intention of neutering him... I KNOW both the male and female that are his parents and he is from TOP champion stock. And, both parents LIVE in the homes, not in kennels. Is is definitely NOT defective. In fact, I've been told by numerous CKCS breeders and CKCS judges not to neuter him. Are you serious in saying that him peeing is a sign of a defect?

I guess you get what you pay for on a free list! Thanks, but no thanks, I was hoping for expert advise, not an overly emotional opinion.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2006, 05:37 PM
    I am harsh and opinionated? Perhaps we live in different cultures. Who has no intention of following what everybody I know would suggest? I actually have my foot in 2 dog cultures, the service dog world where I have learned much of what I know, and the internet QUE sites and dog forums. Everybody in both areas are very concerned about the poorly bred dogs being slaughtered for lack of homes. Frankly too many of the health and behavior problems plaguing the dog world are in large part cause by people breeding litter after litter chasing the ideal look without regard to the general quality of the dog. Many breeds have been so improved it is difficult to find a healthy, well behaved specimen.

Although neutering often makes a big difference in behavior problems it is no cure all. It is difficult to say whether any behavior problem has a genetic link or is an early socialization and training problem. And we can't neuter all males at 6 months. One important thing in controlling behavior problems of both neutered and unneutered males is giving them proper leadership. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/ For more on being top dog, see http://www.dogbreedinfo.com./topdogrules.htm

Specific to marking is to crate the dog when you can't watch it. Otherwise keep a close eye on it. Close doors, use gates, whatever to keep the dog where you can see it. Some people even leash the dog to them. I have a short length of chain fastened to my one computer desk. Any punishment unless you catch him in the act is useless and confusing to the dog. When you do catch him, you can use the traditional ''Bad dog!'' in a stern, but not loud voice, or the more current trend of ''Ut, ut, ut! In a sharp voice followed by taking the dog out. Nobody that knows much about dogs ever hits one.

None of the above is novel. I have seen it all countless times and places. Anybody interested enough in dogs to consider breeding should have done enough to educate themselves to already know it.

Just why should I give my time to help somebody I feel is adding to the problems of the dog world by insisting on breeding an unsuitable dog because of its looks? The one forum I am active on, the administrator would have locked the thread as soon as he saw your original post. By the way, you got expert advice. Neuter him.
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Dec 17, 2006, 08:58 AM
    I'm going to stay out of the breed/ don't breed issue, but I can make a good suggestion for curbing his nasty little habit of marking.

Here's what I do when I get a rescue dog in who marks - which is a fairly common problem since many people surrender dogs with well established marking habits, and of course puppymill stud dogs are very experienced markers.

I use belly bands on male dogs who mark - I do NOT advocate for this particular manufacturer, but you can get the idea:

http://www.bellybands.com

They work 4 ways:

1. They are a physical barrier preventing the pee from getting on your house
    2. The dog knows they have wet and are incomfortable
    3. They hate wearing them.

Doesn't take long for them to figure out that you take it off when they go outside, and it gets put back on the second they mark. I don't leave it on all the time - and put it on the second they mark.

It acts as its own punishment and you don't have to get mad about it. If they still insist on wetting themselves, I will add a crated time out to reinforce that I'm ticked off. Not long, just 15-20 minutes and ignore them.

Shunning a dog - treating them like they are invisible and the household goes on without them is an effective punishment without being physically harsh... and does not negatively affect their crate training.

-Beth

Dec 17, 2006, 12:36 PM
    To: badams007

Thanks for your GREAT suggestion! I was looking for this kind of help, not the breed/no breed opinion.

I'm going to implement your idea.

Thanks again... I really appreciate your level-headed response.
    DJ
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2006, 01:11 PM
    Be sure to pass on the idea to everybody that ends up with a dog that inherits his defective behavior.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog peeing [ 5 Answers ]

Our chiwauwa female almost 5 months old pees everywhere in the house but in the litter box along with the other pets (cats & Dogs). We thought she had caught on after the "BAD DOG" scoldings and then we see her doing her thing right in front of us every so often. This is our first chiwauwa and...

Peeing Male Dachshund--HELP! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I desperately need help… I have a miniature dachshund male (NOT neutered & ready to breed). He is 2 & ½ years old. Very free-spirited and strong-headed—born on July 4th . The problem is that he “marks” all of the corners in the house on the regular basis, when no one is home, or, when he...

Why is my dog peeing [ 3 Answers ]

If a male dog is fixed can he sense that there are other animals in heat and mark his territory?

Old dog peeing and pooping? Why Oh Why? [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is a 10 year old German Shepard mix. In the past 3 months, she has started a new behavior. When we go to sleep at night, she sneaks downstairs and pees and poops in the same spot. At first it was just once in a while. Now it is every night. I thought it might be medical. Then we went...

Male Doxie peeing on beds [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 1year old unneutered male dachshund that we've had since he was 8wks old. I am a stay-at-home mom who homeschools a 15yr old son and a 13yr old son while Dad and the oldest son go off to work, so someone is home 95% of the time. From day one, we've trained him to go on the Puppy Pads...

View more questions Search