Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vanillaface Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2010, 06:36 PM
    Enforcing child support in CA
    If I wanted to enforce child support and collect arrears, would it be quicker to do it through the court or DCSS (Department of Child Support Services)?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 06:37 PM

Do you already have a case started? Are you on any state aide?

Jul 5, 2010, 06:51 PM
    Yes, he was ordered by the court to start paying $703/mth in September 2008 and has hardly paid anything. I currently have medi-cal for his doctors appointments & WIC, but I am not on calworks.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 06:55 PM

Then your going to need to push DCSS for getting you some money. The government wants to recover also so you won't be able to do it independently.

Jul 5, 2010, 07:06 PM
    The government will be pulling money from the arrears/support?
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 07:08 PM

They may for the medical or the WIC. Governments are trying to recover what they can and he's supposed to be responsible so if they are paying anything on his behalf they may add to the award.

Jul 5, 2010, 07:14 PM
    Oh. I was told they would only be taking money if I were on TANF, cash-aid, or Welfare/CALworks
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vanillaface View Post
    Oh. I was told they would only be taking money if I were on TANF, cash-aid, or Welfare/CALworks
    Isn't he also responsible for medical insurance for the children? They might also tack that on. It depends on how they are ay collecting the money. But you should try going through the state first if you can because otherwise you would have to hire your own lawyer etc and pay for all the court paperwork. Can you afford that and afford to take over your own case?

Jul 5, 2010, 07:20 PM

He switched jobs (AGAIN, probably the sixth time in the past year and a half) and won't get his benefits for a while.
    And no, I wouldn't be able to afford that.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 07:28 PM

Then try dcss and take your best shot with them. Right now they should be pushing him for it and taking his license away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

I owe back child support, will child support garnish the whole tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

Will child support garnish the whole tax return?

Can I sue a child support agency for not enforcing support orders? [ 15 Answers ]

In 2002, a NY family court ordered my ex-husband (the non-custodial parent of our 2 minor children) to pay child support in the amount of $250 per week. This court order was subsequently made a part of our divorce decree in 2005. In 2004, the NCP moved from NY to OR then eventually to CA to...

How do I sue another state for not enforcing my child support/health insurance order? [ 4 Answers ]

Five years after my divorce, I moved out of state and have lived in Michigan for 3 years now. In August 2007, my ex was arrested in Kentucky (still lives there) for flagrant nonsupport. At that time, his arrears were $5100. He begged his brother for a job that day and the court ordered his wages...

Enforcing child support from foreign country [ 3 Answers ]

In case the father is US citizen, and legally married in foreign country for 5 years. After the divorce, mother got court order for child support, but the father left the country and returned to California. Is it possible to enforce child support order from foreign country? If yes, what is...

View more questions Search