Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iceberg1002 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2010, 10:54 AM
    What happen if the biological father is not on the b.c and hasn't taken a dna test?
    If the biological father didn't sign the birth of certificate but another man sign the birth certificate but he not the biological parent and he took the dna but the results was he is not the father but the mother of the child wants the biological father to sign his rights over in nyc and the guy who signed the birth certificate wants to adop what will happen

Jul 2, 2010, 11:01 AM
    NewYork State Laws
    If I had a two yeard old child in nys but hasn't taken a dna test but the mother of the child wants me to sign over my rights and we aren't married but another man signed the birth certificate in ny and wants to adopt the two year old child what will happen
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2010, 12:38 PM

Might be a trick to sucker you into 18 years of child support payments.

If your name isn't on any legal documents and someone else's is... then why do they need you to do anything for an adoption?

Jul 2, 2010, 01:32 PM
    She told me the guy who signed the birth certificate isn't the father of the child because he took a paternity test with her. And she know its mine because of certain face features but if I sign all my rights over to the mother and wants me to let the guy adopt the child because he wants to but what will happen if I sign my rights over to the mother and let the dude adopt will I have to pay child support or anything
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 2, 2010, 01:49 PM

First off there has to be a challenge by the bio dad. Is there such a challenge? Also how long has the other mans name been on the birth certificate? And why would someone want to commit a crime like that?

Jul 2, 2010, 01:57 PM
    The man who signed the birth certificate last name was on the certificate for two yrs in nyc

Jul 2, 2010, 01:59 PM
    Comment on iceberg1002's post
    But the mother wants the biological father to sign his rights over and let the father who signed the birth certificate adopt the child but I will like to know how long will the adoption take in court and what will happen if he adopts
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2010, 02:00 PM

The person who is on the birth certificate is the legal father, until and unless a challenge is made by either him or the bio father.

Therefore, if the bio father doesn't want to do anything and the legal father wants the child, nothing has to be done.

Jul 2, 2010, 02:04 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Oh OK I like that idea but do I have to go to court because I do not want to challenge but do I have obtain any documents saying that he wants to adopt in nyc
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 2, 2010, 02:12 PM

Can you exlplain yourself? What type of DNA test was taken by the man that signed the birth certificate? Was it court ordered?

Jul 2, 2010, 02:24 PM
    There is no challenge but she wants me to sign my rights over to her and he is willing to adopt the child but the man who signed the birth of certificate name been on there for at least two years

Jul 2, 2010, 02:27 PM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    I think so because they both took the dna test in court
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 2, 2010, 02:33 PM

Did the courts orders say you are now the legal father? If so his name should be stricken from the birth certificate.

Jul 2, 2010, 02:40 PM
    I don't know what the court said to the guy who is the legal father but I know him and the mother of the child will go back to court during July of this year

Jul 2, 2010, 02:41 PM
    But he willing to adopt the child and take responsibility
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2010, 02:58 PM

First, please don't use the Comments feature to post a follow-up question. That's not what its for. Use the Answer This Question options to post follow-up.

Second, are you the one on the birth certificate or are you the bio father?

If you are the bio father and you want to defer to the legal father, then you have to do NOTHING! He is already the legal father so he doesn't need to adopt. You are not the legal father so you have no rights.

You need to find out WHY they went to court and WHY a DNA test was done. Without knowing that, we can't advise further.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2010, 05:09 PM

If the kid is adopted, you no longer have any parental rights or financial obligations, those would have transferred legally to the adopting parent.

Please wait for some other answers as well, but I smell something fishy in what they are telling you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 2, 2010, 05:17 PM

Let her get a court order for a DNA test, ( you have no choice at that point) And only a court ordered DNA test from a challenge in court takes away the other mans rights as father.

And I would get a family lawyer in your area to review all of the written court documents and documents from her attorney asking you to sign over your rights

Jul 2, 2010, 05:40 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    Oh OK thank you very much for helping me out
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 06:07 AM

Icebgerg1022: what's missing here is you haven't told us what it is that you would like to have happen? Do you want to find out for sure whether the child is actually yours? If it is, do you want to have any involvement in the child's upbringing? And do you want the financial responsibility that goes along with it? Or would you be happiest if the other man goes through with the adoption?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DNA, can I get my brother to do a dna test to see if we have same father? [ 13 Answers ]

:confused::confused:I need to know who is my biological father, my mum has told me but I need confirmation. Now my brother has his own father but we are doubtful if he is mines or not. If I asked my brother to do a dna test would that tell me if he is my full brother or not??

Do you need the father for a DNA test [ 4 Answers ]

I have two daughters one look like a ex and the other look like their father, when I do the calulations my ex can't be the father.

Biological Father through DNA name change [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out I have an 18 month old child and I want the child's last name to be mine and the mother is OK with it. I don't want to have to pay over $300 to change it. Since the father was unknown at birth and never signed the certificate do I just go sign it at the court house or how does this...

Father wanting dna test [ 8 Answers ]

Hi could someone tell me where I stand I was in a relationship not married with a guy for 3 month and my son was conceived I told him I was pregnant and he didn't want to know he was into drugs and has been in jail for gbh so I went on as normal had my son paid for everything on my own didn't put a...

Dna test says I am not the father [ 3 Answers ]

I met a girl 10 months ago, a few weeks after we met she tells me she is pregnant. I was not overjoyed but resigned myself to becoming a Dad. Bought all the baby cloths cots, buggy, car chairs etc. Baby was born on 10/11/06, she moved out 1 week later with all the stuff I bought, not tells me she...

View more questions Search