Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chris_32786 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2010, 05:05 PM
    Is cheating a self esteem problem
    Is the reason why people cheat is because they have low self esteem. The reseason why I ask is because I am 24 years old my fiancée which is 22 had cheated on me with a gang banger. We were together for 5 half years and engaged for 4months, I treated her like a queen like a man suppose to treat a women.in the beginning of the relationship her mother through her out the house and left her homeless I took her in her mother call her a , told her she will be nothing in life in the mist of all that she told me she had for gave her . I wanted 2 know will my ex realize the mistake she made by cheating on me with a gang banger
    Yosomoton213 Posts: 174, Reputation: 45

Jun 28, 2010, 07:52 PM

Gang banger... as in a person in a gang? Or was there more than 1 dude involved?
    parisrose Posts: 61, Reputation: 28

Jun 28, 2010, 10:52 PM

I think cheating has many reasons.

But the main one is selfishness.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 28, 2010, 11:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_32786 View Post
    is the reason why people cheat is because they have low self esteem. the reseason why i ask is because i am 24 years old my fiancee which is 22 had cheated on me with a gang banger. we were together for 5 half years and engaged for 4months, i treated her like a queen like a man suppose to treat a women.in the beginning of the relationship her mother through her out the house and left her homeless i took her in her mother call her a , told her she will be nothing in life in the mist of all that she told me she had for gave her . i wanted 2 know will my ex realize the mistake she made by cheating on me with a gang banger
    I don't think low self esteem cuts it as an excuse to cheat under any circumstances.

If the cause of the low self esteem is the partner's attitude or behaviour, then there are better options than cheating to feel better about yourself.

She is now your ex as you said.

My advice to you is to let it go. It didn't work out, and it's time to move on.
    LJDK Posts: 281, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2010, 04:21 AM

The problem is that you treated her like a queen. Most here will not agree with me, but fact is if you treat your wife/fiance/GF like a queen you will become the "good guy" or the "nice guy" and women still love the bad boy type.

Its scientificly proven. Let me tell you a story. My fiancé seemed distant, things were strange. I became insecure about this. Silence etc. Then one day I decided to not be so nice. Keeping it in moderation I now must admit I don't treat her like a queen anymore, but I don't treat her badly. Just not as nice as I use to. Now she seems much happier, and so am I, because truth is... being Mr. nice is hard work and gets you no where
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2010, 08:11 AM

Cheating is a character issue... nothing more, nothing less.
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Jun 29, 2010, 08:19 AM

Cheating is more down to losing or lacking ones self control and succumbing to temptations, not so much self esteem.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_32786 View Post
    is the reason why people cheat is because they have low self esteem.
    Hello chris:

Like kc said, people cheat because they don't honor their own words. I suppose you could say that they don't think they're worthy of honoring themselves, so I suppose it COULD be a self esteem problem. Probably is, actually.

excon
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2010, 08:26 AM

Someone who is cheating has given up on the primary relationship in some way and has opportunity and no serious commitment to not cheating. Cheaters can be VERY self confident. Or they can have low confidence. I also think there are lots of different kinds of cheating. Some people let themselves get pulled into it reluctantly; others go after it enthusiastically, planning their strategy carefully.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Someone who is cheating has given up on the primary relationship in some way and has opportunity and no serious commitment to not cheating.
    Hello:

There are a million reasons to cheat, and only one reason not to - because you said you wouldn't. Commitments don't wear away. Oh, the reasons one made the commitment wears away, but the actual commitment doesn't.

So, if one honors himself, his word, his old lover, and his new one too, he'd END one relationship before beginning another. He might be confident. He might be a wuss. But, he DOESN'T think of himself as a person of any worth.

excon
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Jun 29, 2010, 09:04 AM

Anyone can cheat.. .
    It take no brain cells to do so.

Not everyone has the character to say no.
    That's too difficult..

Or the will power and integrity to know that its disrespecting themselves and their partner..

They know its not right but they just don't care...

We all succumb to temptations of some description,
    Its being capable of accepting responsibility for our actions though that counts...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 1, 2010, 08:15 AM

Call it whatever you want, doesn't matter why someone cheats, its what you both do about it. I suggest you talk because being treated like a queen didn't much matter, or she was seeing something different.

For sure something is going on that needs correcting, or exploring, or DISCOVERING to help you get through this, as its obvious she is seeing something you don't.

She may realize it was a mistake, but what good will that do? If you don't get to the why of it, and work on a fix, she will probably do it again any way.

Better get to talking, and find out what's really going on with her. Cheating is a selfish act, an easy way out instead of being honest with a partner, and I am curious as to how you found out she cheated. Its wrong whether she was drunk, crazy, mad, or whatever. I sure would not marry her unless you have gotten to the bottom of this. A female that young may just be exploring, or even curious. But those are not excuses to betray a relationship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem with low self-esteem. [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I'm a.k.a princess nomad. And I'm also a neophyte here.. I've joined here because I have a very big problem and because of that problem I have los self esteem.. can you help me with my problem? Thanks in advance.:)

Self Esteem [ 7 Answers ]

Okay for those who have talked to me I'm sure I give off as a person who is completely sure of herself, truth being I'm really not. I smile all the time and talk and act as sure of myself as I can but inside I always analyze everything I do and find everything bad before I find the good. My...

Self-esteem and TV [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering if an addiction could be the result of low self-esteem and the desire to have more control in life. Also, I was wondering if there are any good methods of overcoming a TV addiction.

Self-esteem [ 2 Answers ]

Besides the fact that I had been in a relationship for a very long time that I let really break me, or so I still think. I'm not really at the point yet where I see my growth or what I've learned, still, I know I'll get there. MY question is this: What makes a person a worthy person of...

View more questions Search