Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eastonwatcher Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 08:23 AM
    Toilet bowl losing water

Hello. I installed a new american standard toilet for my mom. I have no leaks but the water keeps disappearing from the bowl. I resealed the wax ring twice but still missing water in the morning. Please help. Need advise!1 thanks, Paul:mad:
    BradH Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Dec 13, 2006, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eastonwatcher

Hello. I installed a new american standard toilet for my mom. I have no leaks but the water keeps disappearing from the bowl. i resealed the wax ring twice but still missing water in the morning. please help. need advise!1 thanks, Paul:mad:
    Is this a replacement for another toilet or a new install? How much water is missing? How did you test for leaks? The water could be leaking down the drain.

Brad
    eastonwatcher Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 10:05 AM
    This is a new replacement toilet. She is on the 5th floor of a senior project building. I have done many toilets before but this missing water is a first. All the water is gone in the bowl part by morning.
    BradH Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Dec 13, 2006, 10:20 AM
    I'm no plumber and don't have much experience in plumbing. I've just been watching these types of posts because I'm having a similar issue but I don't think your's and mine are related at all. It sounds to me like a defective toilet. I read elsewhere that someone removed the toilet and set it up on sawhorses and filled the bowl full of water to see if it was leaking out somewhere underneath. This wasn't happening with the old toilet was it? I would wait to hear from a seasoned plumber here before following my advice though... unless you are a seasoned plumber. I'm just a do-it-yourself home owner.

Brad
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 14, 2006, 06:23 AM
    I have heard, but never saw a scenario where the vent pipe was plugged. This created a vaccuum as water from another fixture went past the toilet, thereby creating a small vaccuum and literally sucking some water out of the toilet. I would check to ensure your vent pipes are clear.

Good Luck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 14, 2006, 07:41 AM
    There are several things that would cause this problem. (1) A crack in the bowl that can't be seen,**or** (2) Sometimes a bubble will occur in the casting that causes a hole that allows water to leak back down into the closet bend and out into the sewer. Instead of junking the bowl the manufacture will float a porcelain patch over the hole. Sometimes this patch comes loose and the bowl loses water. A blocked vent could cause a lowering of the water level but this almost never happens. You would hear a gurgle in fixtures with lesser traps first. My bet's on a defective bowl.

Brad posts, " It sounds to me like a defective toilet. I read elsewhere that someone removed the toilet and set it up on sawhorses and filled the bowl full of water to see if it was leaking out somewhere underneath."

I was the plumber that put a Briggs bowl up on sawhorses to check for a hidden leak. It was and Briggs replaced the bowl.

My advice? Replace the bowl. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low Water in Toilet Bowl [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, Sorry if this is a stupid question--I know next to nothing about toilets, and your patience is appreciated. My toilet was fine until my apartment maintenance had to shut off the water to repair a water main. When the water returned and I flushed my toilet, the water level in the bowl was...

Toilet Bowl Water Level [ 8 Answers ]

My toilet bowl will not fill up. After you flush the toilet you can see the water level in the bowl go down. The toilet is a brand new Kohler. I didn't have a problem with the old toilet but that was an american standard. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks for your time.

Toilet Bowl Water Level [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to increase the water level in the toilet bowl?

Water is being sucked from toilet bowl [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new home (2 months ago) and I'm having a problem with the master bath toilet. From day 1 the toilet has never flushed right and the water level in the bowl is different all the time. It started that when I raised the lid the water in the bowl would actually drain out by...

Disappearing Toilet Bowl Water [ 2 Answers ]

Reciently one of our second floor toilets has begun losing water from the bowl. When it is flushed, it fills to the proper level and shortly after refilling the tank, all is silent. There is no apparent leakage and the water level may stay up for quite some time. However, it seems that after the...

View more questions Search