Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosebuds13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 09:49 AM
    Does my employer have to give me details when writing me up?
    I work for a company in California and I believe someone is out to get me fired. One of the employees has been emailing the owner of the company complaining that I provide a hostile work environment. As a policy they are required to write you up in instances like this but even my direct boss says the alegations are unfounded. They didn't give me any examples of the behavior they feel is hostile and they didn't tell me who filed the complaint. Company policy states that if I get one more write up it is mandatory I get fired. Do I have any recourse here or do I just wait to be fire? It doesn't seem fair!
    Lucinordiche Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2010, 10:03 AM
    It doesn't seem fair. I don't know the laws pertaining to that, but I would imagine it would be required that they can give details and examples in a write-up. Explain to your manager that you do not feel you can possibly improve on an infraction if you do not have a basis of your error. If you are unable to get anywhere with management, I'd suggest consulting a Human Resources representative.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 05:51 PM

That doesn't seem right. Everyone should know the details of what they are doing wrong. After all, if you don't know what's wrong, how can you fix it?

I would talk directly with Human Resources to try and obtain the details and discuss your concerns.

Be sure to document everything that is said and done in case they were to let you go and you need some facts/evidence.

If they were to dismiss you I would contact the Department of Labor with the documentation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 06:32 PM

They are not required to tell you who is complaining, if they investigated and it was unfounded, then there is no "write up "?

But unless you have a contract the company normally can end your employment for just not "fitting in" or really for no reason at all.
    Lovelee Posts: 150, Reputation: 5

Jul 28, 2010, 05:07 PM
    As an HR Representative I know that an employer should provide every little detail for writing up their employee or they would have a hard time proving their case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Give me topics for writing paragraphs [ 6 Answers ]

Hello Please help me by giving me topics for writing paragraphs ? Like for example : discuss problem Can you give me any problem to write about ? Thank you :)

How do I no if I'm being haunted? [ 2 Answers ]

Ever since I was a little girl at the age of 6 I've had strange things happening to me. I've had my hair pulled from under the bed when there has been no one else in the house, things have moved around in my house, I've been pushed in the back many a times. I see dark shadows pass by. Am I Haunted?

How to get a copy of my w2 for 2009 from my employer if he doesn't give it to me [ 4 Answers ]

My employer will not give me my w2's for 2009

OPT (f1) - forms to give employer? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm working on my OPT right now on the F1 visa - do I need to give my employer a W-8BEN along with a W4? I know I filed both to my university when I was employed there on campus. Also, if my W2 comes back with soc security and medicare, is there a separate form where I claim that they don't...

View more questions Search