Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richardlbj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2010, 08:04 PM
    Ac fan does not start as compressor runs
    At first both fan and compressor didn't start and the unit was humming. I turned off circuit breaker, replaced capacitor (5/40 370V), turned on circuit breaker.

The current situation is:

When I turn on the unit by switching from off to cool at thermostat, compressor runs but fan wouldn't start. Fan moves slightly then stuck. I try pushing blades and it doesn't help. I feel resistance when pushing the blades. Compressor shuts off by itself in a few minutes.

The blades move freely when the unit is off.

While I reconnecting the capacity, I did Fan, then HERM, then accidentally touched C wire to HERM, then connected C. Could the "touch" caused any damages?

What should I do from here?

Thanks,
    Richard
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 09:45 AM
    I believe the fan motor is probably toast but proper electrical testing is in order.
    richardlbj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 02:51 PM

What tests can I do and what tools would I need to find out if the fan motor is bad...
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by richardlbj View Post
    At first both fan and compressor didn't start and the unit was humming. I turned off circuit breaker, replaced capacitor (5/40 370V), turned on circuit breaker.

The current situation is:

When I turn on the unit by switching from off to cool at thermostat, compressor runs but fan wouldn't start. Fan moves slightly then stuck. I try pushing blades and it doesn't help. I feel resistance when pushing the blades. Compressor shuts off by itself in a few minutes.

The blades move freely when the unit is off.

While I reconnecting the capacity, I did Fan, then HERM, then accidentally touched C wire to HERM, then connected C. Could the "touch" caused any damages?

What should I do from here?

Thanks,
    Richard

An Amprobe will tell you right away because a defective motor will have a very high current draw,higher than the listed draw on the info tag for the unit.

Do not keep testing with the compressor active or it might damage the internal overload since you mentioned it shut off by itself.
    JimmyTheAirGuy Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Jun 21, 2010, 09:19 PM

Get an ohms meter and check continuity between leads on your fan motor. Then go over the wires and make sure it is wired correctly especially the run capacitor. Usually when the wires are arched by error it will trip the breaker but not damage the motor. It sounds like if any component is damaged it is going to be your run capacitor.
    Good Luck and God Bless
    Jimmy The Air Guy
    lloyd212 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 11:12 AM
    Compressor runs, but fan doesn't. Two different capacitors, (45, 7.5) both read 0.1 MFD. I check with Ohmeter, 7.5 capacitor is reading 37... 45 capacitor reads 2.4... Fan blade turns freely. What could the problem be?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump outdoor fan runs not compressor voltage at compressor good. New compressor [ 1 Answers ]

Have a new compressor. Just replaced fan runs compressor does not, have voltage at the compressor plug? What could stop from coming on high side and low side equal at 100psig.

Can my condenser fan run while my compressor runs [ 1 Answers ]

My condensenser fan would start and stop I removed it from the pressure switch and wired it so it runs when the compressor runs is this OK??

Amana air conditioning compressor fan runs but compressor does not [ 9 Answers ]

I have an Amana Model RCE30A2B Compressor unit installed it is about 6 years old, the compressor will not cut in when demanded yet the cooling fan for the unit does

Fan runs but compressor cycles off in 1-2 seconds [ 1 Answers ]

I reviewed many posts but didn't see a diagnosis for this issue. I have a split system, forced air gas furnace with ac compressor unit outside. Unit is 5 years old, and outside of warranty. The compressor fan works fine, and cycles on when the thermostat goes to cool. The compressor cycles...

Cooling: blower runs but compressor does not start [ 3 Answers ]

I have a heat pump outside and a blower in the attic. Both made by YORK. My system stopped cooling a week ago. The blower keeps running but the heat pump does not start. I checked the circuit breaker in the basement and the power disconnect next to the outdoor unit. Both are good. I studied...

View more questions Search