Ask
    maansinghpal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 02:47 AM
    in tossing 10 coins the probability of getting exactly 5 heads is
    In tossing 10 coins the probability of getting exactly 5 heads
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2010, 08:24 AM

For one toss, the probability of getting one head is 1/2.

For two tosses, the probability of getting two heads is (1/2)(1/2) = 1/4
    (that is you need to have one head, then one head)

For two tosses, the probability of getting one head is (1/2)(1/2) + (1/2)(1/2) = 1/2
    (that is, you need to have either one first head, then one tail, or one first tail, then one head)

Can you try for your problem now? Post the answer you think is correct. :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 08:30 AM

Work it through like this: first, imagine you wanted to get 5 heads in a row followed by 5 tails in a row. The probability of that happening is (1/2)^10. Do you see why?

But to win this game you don't need this precise order of tosses. You succeed no matter what order of heads and tails there is. So you multiply this by the number of ways 5 items out of 10 can be arrannged - because we have 10 items (10 tosses), and we can move the 5 heads around to any of those ten toss positions and still "win." So the final answer is:

C(10,5) x (1/2)^5

In general, given probability p for something to occur (like getting heads), then the probability of getting k successes out of n trials is:

where C(n,k) is:

Note - to avoid any confusion with notation here - the notation of the combination of k things out of n may also be written as follows:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Geometric probability, conditional probability with area of square [ 2 Answers ]

Chose a point at random in a square with sides 0<x<1 and 0<y<1. Let X be the x coordinate and Y be the y coordinate of the point chosen. Find the conditional probability P(y<1/2 / y>x).

Probability of coins [ 1 Answers ]

If you flip a coin twice. Event A is getting a head on the second flip and event B is getting a head on the first flip.

Baby Tossing, a Muslim ritual? [ 4 Answers ]

I was shocked to see the baby tossing ritual on the news. There is a man on top of a domed building tossing naked,crying babies from the top onto a white sheet held by many men. And to see the babies bounce off the sheet as they land,that gave me chills. How can any parent let their babies...

Flipping Coins, Seeking Heads [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I know if I flip a coin the chances are 50/50 that I will get either heads or tails. Let's say I get tails. What are the chances that I will get heads the second toss? I understand at one level it's 50/50 each toss... but still I feel there should be at least a slightly greater...

"nose tossing" [ 2 Answers ]

My dog sometimes uses her nose to tip over her water bowl. She sometimes does the same thing with her food container. Sometimes she does it to the point that the skin on her nose peels and starts to bleed. Why does she do this? Should I "control" this behavior? My dog's 6 years old. Thanks!

View more questions Search