Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    racefan1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2010, 07:30 AM
    Evap coil froze up. Does it mean I am low on charge
    When we got home unit was a block of ice does it mean I am low on charge. Change filter regulary.also also recently it was 85 out and the unit ran constantly and neve got below 79
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2010, 07:43 AM
    Not always the answer,, is indoor fan blowing ? Is it blowing at proper speed? Could the evap-coil be in need of cleaning? The HVAC tech you need to come in to look system over should be able to determine
    jdjohn84 Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Jun 12, 2010, 08:53 PM

Let the ice melt, then clean the coil by using a brush attachment on a vacuum. If it freezes again after that, call a tech.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2010, 09:30 AM
    The coil needs to be cleaned from the underside,, the inside of the coil you can`t see until the end plate is removed so you can get to and see,, just vaccuming the outside isn`t getting the job done
    jdjohn84 Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Jun 13, 2010, 06:39 PM

For mine I vacuumed the filter-side of the coil. Seems like it would be the dirtiest.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2010, 07:39 PM

Most of the coils do not need cleaned, if you have a 90% furnace. If the dirt is anywhere it is stuck to the secondary heat ex and the blower will have to be pulled. Most likely you are low on freon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evap coil only half cold [ 3 Answers ]

My evaporator coil will only get ice cold on the lower portion and the upper half is warm . What would cause this problem, possible restriction?

Compatible compressor and evap coil [ 1 Answers ]

Working on a goodman outdoor unit ,model#crt18-1 I have an air handler not sure what brand model#FFIDNE024(think it is a janitrol) Are the evap coil and condensing unit compatible?

Airmax evap coil & sp6 start capacitor [ 1 Answers ]

Anybody ever hear of airmax and have spec info on the coils? Would a model # AC48/22+NBEXV4 mean it's a 4 ton coil per the 48 in the model number? Would having an old 4 ton coil mismatched to a new 2.5 ton SEER 13 condenser cause lack of cooling on warm days? Also what does a sp6 "start...

Replace 2-year evap. Coil because of sulphur? [ 3 Answers ]

System is two years old. Wouldn't cool so I set up a service appointment, thinking it was low on freon. 2 hours and $160 later, repair guy says I have a bad evap coil, caused from sulphur in my well water that emits fumes and deteriorated my coil. Talked to a couple of hvac people and they say...

New Evap Coil for Carrier - refrigerant and price [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 12-year-old Carrier Heat pump. The AC repairman, who was in fixing the control board which had been knocked out by a lightning strike, mentioned that the coil had a lot of rust on it and would soon start developing small leaks. He also mentioned that the refrigerant it used would be phased...

View more questions Search