Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kayrod134 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2010, 10:05 AM
    Can I file a 1099 form and still be considered a student and not have to pay taxes?
    Im considered a full time college student, and have recently been offered a job. However this job would require me to file a 1099 form. I also live at home with my parents. They are planning like normal to claim me on their tax forms. If they do so will I still be required to pay my taxes that I owe, or being that I am a student do I not have to pay any taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 14, 2010, 07:49 AM

First - you don't "file a 1099 form." I assume what you mean is that you will receive a 1099 form from an employer, and hence you will have to file a 1040 income tax return.

The answer is yes, of course - students work all the time, and file income tax returns as well. You can still be claimed by your parents as their dependent as long as you meet the criteria (you must not provide over half your own support, and you must be under age 24 if a full time student). When you complete your tax return next year you check off a box that indicates that you are being claimed as a dependent by another.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I do not file taxes, but received tax form 1099 are, do I have to file a tax? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on SSD AND DO NOT FILE TAXES, but I received a form 1099-R showing fderal income taxwithheld for $4093.00 on my pension that I Received.Do I HAVE TO REPORT THIS SINCE THEY TOOK IT OUT Already or do I have to file some kind of form to the IRS. This is the only income I'vd received other than my...

I'm F-1 student and work out off campus, what should I do if I get 1099 form? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm F-1 student and work out off campus, what should I do if I get 1099 form? I have to say firstly that I know it's illegal to work out off campus. I'm guilty, but it's too hard for me to ask school to process hardship of finance. Now I get a job to let me survive. If I get 1099 form, what...

Can F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form? [ 9 Answers ]

Please advise can an F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form and file taxes?

I received a 1099 a form do I pay taxes for that? [ 1 Answers ]

My house was foreclosed on may, 2009 and I received a 1099a do I pay taxes for this or just filing a 982 form its enough?(we lived in the house until they put it for sell on a auction)

1099 Form for F-1 student [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been working on an authorised Co-Op with employer A starting on August 13 2006. I switched companies and started working for employer B from November 13 2006 onwards. Employer A has promptly sent me a W2 form. Employer B is giving me a 1099 form. It is the first time I am...

View more questions Search