Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Edensmimi Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Jun 10, 2010, 10:01 AM
    Why does my 29 yr old daughter abuse tylenol?
    She has a problem with Vicodin, she can't get her hands on any. She is bipolar and takes lithium, abilify, selexa and Clondepam. She took 9 clondepam in a 4 hr window. She ate 21 tylenol headache pills in 2 days, yesterday she ate 22 tylenol cold and sinus tablets, what is it about the tylenol helping with withdraws? I am desperate please help
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2010, 10:23 AM

Withdrawl?. taking that many Tylenol will cause liver failure. Its right on the label, and not an exageration.

Don't believe me...

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/aceta...article_em.htm

Jun 10, 2010, 10:40 AM

I know it will, she doesn't care, I am at my wits end with her, she has 3 kids, 2 of which I have raised for 4 years. I am trying to figure out what link it has to stopping the withdrawals
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2010, 10:45 AM

I've never heard of taking Tylenol for withdrawals. It may help her with the pains. High doses will kill your liver like smoothy mentioned.

Has she be trying to get clean? How do you know so much about her pill count? Does she share all of her narcotic abuse with you? Has she been prescribed the Vicodin? Does her doctor know that she is running out, and having withdrawals?

I'm not trying to be nosy. I am just trying to get the facts straight. I went through the painkiller abuse cycle myself, following two surgeries.

There are ways of getting clean. I hope she will go along with the help that she needs.

God bless.

Jun 10, 2010, 10:55 AM

She is suppose to be getting clean, I watch every move she makes, she has broken into our lockbox to get the cold meds. I am facing back surgery and currently take 2 vicodin a day, norco 10/325 and we have to hide them in my husbands truck and he gives them to me 2 at a time. She has stolen HUNDREDS from my father who is 78 yrs old and has rhematoid arthritis and he only takes them when he needs them and they get them by mail so he gets like 360 every 90 days. Her last boyfriend left he due to her drug addiction, we let her move in trying to help her get clean. She takes all the clondepam then suffers the rest of the week until she gets more. She use to what they call DR Shop to support her habit. She takes 10 hydrocodone 10/650 at a time. I have a hard time understanding the pill addiction thing as I hate the way just 1 of mine makes me feel. I am facing putting her on the street with a 1 yr old child, she won't stop stealing from us/family or abusing the meds. She claims she has to take like 6 unisom at a time, or 6 tylenol pm to help her sleep. I refuse to buy sleeping pills for her, so I guess she is taking my cold meds. She has drank all my cough medicines, drank all the kids liquid benadryl (grandson has bad allergies) we switched him to a chewable tablet that we keep hidden. If you can help me in any way I am all ears. God Bless You As Well
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2010, 11:11 AM

Sounds to me like she needs locked up in a controlled detox facility until she is truly clean.

Personally... I wouldn't want someone that steals like that in my house... family or not. They are adults and are responsible for their own actions or addictions. I wouldn't deal with it if they were minors either.

From what you have described thus far.. It sounds like she is more concerned about getting a fix... any kind of fix than she is about getting clean at this point.

There is no halfway... she either does it or she doesn't. Anything less than 100% commitment on her part is playing games.

An alcoholic isn't on the wagon if they cut back to half a case of beer a day. Neither is a drug addict.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2010, 11:12 AM

Yes ma'am she has it bad.

There is nothing that I can do to help you unless you can get her in detox. She needs to then be in a long term treatment facility (at least 30 days), and then get into, and stay in, a 12 step program like NA.

She needs to want to get better, or it's doomed to fail.

In the meantime, save your sanity and go to a support group for family members of addicts. It's called Naranon : Nar-Anon Home

Please look up their site. It's worlwide, anonymous, and free. They are "kin" to AA (Alcoholics Anonymous), and help family members who have been effected.
    They can help you get help for your daughter.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 11:41 AM
    My immediate concern is for the one year old child, and the other children involved in this.

How can she possibly handle children when she is so messed up.

I presume you care taking care of all of them?

Please call her family Doctor, and explain what she is taking, how much, and how far things are out of control. When is the last time she saw a Doctor for blood tests and a checkup.

Before you throw her and her children out on the street, please call CPS- they will assist in a crisis situation where children are at risk. If she cannot take care of herself now, she won't be able to survive on the streets.

While you are at your wit's end, please take some steps to ensure the safety of the children.

Make some phone calls and check in your community for shelters, emergency housing assistance, detox, and referral. Much of this you should be able to get from her Doctor.

The whole thing is out of control, and nothing will be gained by asking about Tylenol- she needs detox, and she needs counselling at the very least.

Please make the effort to provide some workable options.

Jun 10, 2010, 11:57 AM

First let me clarify I would never throw my grandkids on the street, I have raised the 10 yr old girl and 4 yr old boy for 4 years, I have custody of them. I was not going to get attached to the 1 yr old for the reason of I am not a well woman myself and it is hard to take care of a 1 yr old, let alone the cost of getting daycare for them. My grandkids are the only reason that she is even in my home. I can't talk to the Dr, tried that and he simply said she is an adult and has instructed him to not reveal things to me. She is seeing a psychiatrist for her bipolar. I might add she is on probation for breaking into a liquor store, and she failed so many test they put her on a very strict drug test and probation program. I have called the probation officer and he says he can't talk to me either. She is my daughter but her kids come first in my eyes, they are just kids they can take care of themselves. I am going to look at the NA website as the other person suggested. My daughter just doesn't seem to care, and that is what bothers me the most. Thank you for being concerned about my babies, kids are always my main concern in these situations.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2010, 12:03 PM

Get custody of the kids and toss the drug addict daughter on the street. She clearly appears to be using you and everyone else... they are accomplished liars and manipulators.

Call the court and inform them of her continued drug use. Who knows... she could be sleeping with the PO. Something very wrong is definitely going on if she is still out of jail after repeated parol violations.

And its YOUR house... its YOUR rules... she doesn't have a RIGHT to even be there much less do what she has been doing there. Those rights ended on her 18th birthday. Anything that happens there now is because you allow her to be there. Nope not your fault she is an addict... but its easy for a family member to cooerce another family member into becoming an enabler... like I said, they are accomplished liars and manipulators. This is one of those times tough love is needed. Before worse happens.

Jun 10, 2010, 12:06 PM

I have custody of the 2 oldest, she is going to fight me for the little one, I have got a call in to our attorney to see what docs I need to get temp custody of the baby. Money is so tight for us right now as well with my medical issues, and trust me I look at her with discust, and have no problems putting her to the curb, thank you all so much, God Bless
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2010, 12:11 PM

I firmly believe NO person should have to lock things up inside their own house for fear some other family member or person residing in that house will take them.

You should qualify for certain assistance for food etc with the children... assuming you reside in the USA.

Jun 10, 2010, 12:15 PM

We only qualify for Medicaid for the kids, we earn too much for any other type of help, we are still paying off credit cards for the 25, 000 it took to get the 2 oldest. Trust me it is killing my husband and I both to have to lock things up, it is not fair to us.
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 01:22 PM
    I agree, it is a terrible way to live.

I'm glad you posted again with how you have gone to such lengths to protect the children.

I faced similar in my home for several years. As it turned out, the mental health issues were enough that long term hospitalization was required. It was not easy getting that done through the court system, as I faced the same hurdles as you- confidentiality.

When she was in court for the umpteeth time, I stood up in the galley, and asked if I could address the court. I call this playing the 'mom card'. The judge allowed me to speak, and I did. About how ridiculous it was that with all the 'evidence' proving out of control problems, the police charges, in and out of jail, back on pills etc. etc. etc. the entire system was missing the boat.

She needed help, involuntarily, to be placed in a psychiatric facility.

She was not a criminal, she was ill. Mentally ill.

I know you aren't fond of all the things she has done, and the heartache she continues to put you through, particularly with the added burden of raising her children, which luckily mine had none, or I would be doing that as well.

I just urge you to speak again to her Psychiatrist. Tell him you are not expecting him to break the rules of confidentiality, but you do expect that he should know that what he has done so far, has not worked. At this stage of the game, the way you have described life in your home with her, clearly she needs hospitalization, and that can only come under a referral for admittance. Ask him for one. All he can say is no.

You can also, through a lawyer, apply for guardianship, which I did, and have. It was necessary to have her declared incompetent in certain areas, so that I could have some say and direction in her care. I realize that if you are in the States, this will already stretch a stretched out budget. I was able to research and bring to the table legal documents with a minimum of legal help.

I suspect that she probably has a list of criminal charges, as did mine, but the bottom line was it was a revolving door that left her open to making her own decisions as to keeping doctors appointments, following probation etc. There was no other way to help her with her mental health issues, other than have her admitted to a hospital. She was eventually found NCR (not criminally responsible), because of the seriousness of her problems.

For those that have not experienced this personally, it is hard to get a grip on just how difficult it is to move through the system to get the help a loved one needs. Hitting rock bottom very often is said, but does not apply when you are dealing with severe issues that need long term treatment. Without help, I knew my daughter would end up dead.

I truly hope that some doors open, and opportunity presents itself for you to have a direct influence on how she needs to be treated.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2010, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Edensmimi View Post
    We only qualify for Medicaid for the kids, we earn too much for any other type of help, we are still paying off credit cards for the 25, 000 it took to get the 2 oldest. Trust me it is killing my husband and I both to have to lock things up, it is not fair to us.
    Medicaid for just medical?or is there any food relief?

I don't know 100%,but perhaps SSI/SSD could be another outlet if she is found incompetent,that way the kids will have monetary care and medical coverage,and you won't have the burden on your shoulders.

But this would be a question for the legal boards,or a lawyer.

This site: Setting Personal Boundaries - protecting self is one to look at.I really like what it says.(as the regulars here can attest to:p), making your life a prison for her using just isn't acceptable living,by anyone's standards.Don't allow this to continue.

There are many of us in here that will support you as much as we can,all you have to do is continue posting and asking,we are here for you:)
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 06:39 PM
    Had to spread the rep, KBC, but you've put out some good suggestions for her to think about.

It is terrible to be so overwhelmed and doors keep closing in your face. Your home should be your sanctuary, not a den of horrors.

I hope she comes back so we can help her if we can.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2010, 06:59 PM
    I hope so,and thanks, there is always time for more rep sharing:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daughter dating man for 6 mo as a grandmother witnessing abuse what I do [ 1 Answers ]

Daughter dating man 6 mo and when I confronted about way he's been talking/treating 9 yr old grandson and 5 yr granddaughter daughter says because she didn't discipline enough they need strong discipline verbal abuse/hitting grandson in head because he found 5 yrs sisters Easter basket. Need to...

Sleep abuse father daughter [ 18 Answers ]

I know of a father who still sleeps with his 8 old daughter every night and she has expressed discomfort over how he "snuggles." He has never gone through the process of getting her sleeping in her own room. At what age does it become inappropriate for a single father to sleep with his daughter?

Can I take tylenol pm [ 1 Answers ]

Can I take tylenol pm

Suspect Child Abuse - Can I Keep My Daughter Home [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's father has a history of being physically violent. Last weekend I had to go and remove her from his home during her court mandated 4 days visit. He supposedly (according to her) "ripped her out of a closet by her arm" because he was angry with her. I do not want my daughter to go to...

View more questions Search