Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tm889706 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2010, 12:01 PM
    Is there hope to rekindle this relationship? Or, should I move on.
    After dating for a year, my boyfriend said he felt pressured (not by me, by society) to make our relationship serious. He wasn't ready for this and didn't think he was over his divorce. He wanted to take some time to work through it--so we broke up. I'm 32, he's 36 and we're both divorced from long term marriages where our spouses cheated. For the first time, he told me he loved me and had considered marriage with me, but he didn't know what that meant. I said I loved him too--I do.

I asked him for a month of space to think about things and get perspective and after that we could be friends or see if there was more. Now, the month is over and we've been talking every day and going on dates once a week for the last few weeks. He and I have both asked each other. We're awkwardly affectionate around each other like the beginning of a new relationship, but there hasn't been any french kissing or sex just hugging, pecks and cuddling. He's supportive of my career, offers to help me move, wants to know everything I think and shares his most intimate thoughts with me. He is trying to work through his issues.

Last night we cuddled and kissed (closed mouth) and talked for hours, but he won't spend the night or have sex. I told him I thought that he longed to be close to me but that he had a ton of confusing thoughts swirling around. He said this was true and that he's tired of being the single guy around all his married friends.

My question is:
    1. Is there hope/likelihood that we will officially get back together or I am deluded that this relationship will work out and I need to just move on?

2. If there is hope for us, do you have any tips to help me be patient with him? I'm so anxious for it to work out I want to move forward with him now.

Thank you for your thoughtful answers.
    sully123 Posts: 567, Reputation: 148

Jun 5, 2010, 03:29 PM

Both of you went through some rough times with horrible divorces. You might of healed faster than he did. Its OK for him to feel like that, he sounds like he is afraid to get close again, because he was hurt bad. Take it slow, and just enjoy his company and the time you spend with each other. He sounds like he cares a lot about you, but is just proceeding slow. Don't pressure him, he will come around, in time.

Jun 5, 2010, 04:34 PM

Thank you for your perspective.
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2010, 08:41 PM

SPACE!

ASAP!

Read my break up guide. He is testing himself - and maybe you... He and you have seen what responsibility a marriage can be. If it is to be, you will only know after the clarity of a little space... don't panic, it is likely for the best to get perspective. You are not kids which is good, so see how feelings go.. and let him see you can walk away too :-)

Jun 5, 2010, 11:38 PM

I already took a month of space. Are you saying I need more?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex girlfriend, move on, is there hope? [ 255 Answers ]

My ex and I dated for about 3 and a half years, we met in high school and dated through our sophomore years of college, I treated her as best as I could, I took her out, I never raised my voice at her or cussed at her, I never cheated on her, I'm ambitious and those were all qualities that she...

Should I keep hope or just move on? [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I had been dating for 7 months. I know that's not very long but we we're perfect for each other and very in love. He's 41 and I'm 22. We had normal silly couple fights once in a while but nothing serious. Well, he broke up with me Monday almost out of the blue. We had gotten in a...

Should I try to move on?or is there hope [ 3 Answers ]

OK... honestly id rather talk one on one but at least I'm getting this off my chest... we never actually dated but were always together, she is the love of my life, if dated other girls but its like... theres just somethig that's not there, that she put there... recently I went away... I knew it...

Me , and my boyfriend broke up do I try to rekindle our relationship or let it go? [ 3 Answers ]

We've been together for 1yr, throughout the year we've broken up ,and gotten back Together. Why I don't know we stay in arguments about little things. Before we got together I worked at a restaurant were he use to come out and eat. After about a year He finially asked for my number. About 3 weeks...

View more questions Search