Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aavbrooks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2010, 11:03 PM
    Joint legal custody laws ca
    I currently share legal custody with my child's father... He is always harassing me about how she is doing is school and when I do not answer his emails he gets very vulgar... My question is, do I HAVE to provide him that information for does he hold the responsibllity of obtaining that on his own??
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 5, 2010, 12:41 AM

"joint legal custody" means that you and your ex will both have decision-making rights, responsibility, and authority relating to your children's health, education, and welfare. Normally under joint legal custody you are required to cooperate with your ex in regards to making big decisions, to keep him informed of anything that might affect your children's health, education, and welfare, and to keep him informed of your whereabouts, etc.

If you share joint legal custody with him you cannot exclude him from his rights. You won't get fined or go to jail, but it will probably be embarrassing because you'll have to go to the court -- which may harm the children.

3003. "Joint legal custody" means that both parents shall share the
    Right and the responsibility to make the decisions relating to the
    Health, education, and welfare of a child.
    3025. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, access to records
    And information pertaining to a minor child, including, but not
    Limited to, medical, dental, and school records, shall not be denied
    To a parent because that parent is not the child's custodial parent.

You do not have direct obligation to do it but generally it is viewed as your attempt to prevent him for exercising his rights.
    By the way This is the first time I am reading that if a father is interested in how his daughter is doing ,it is considered as "HARASSMENT"

Jun 5, 2010, 09:27 AM

I guess my question should have been, do I have the responsibility of mailing him report cards?? I do cooperate with him as far decision making and he knows everything about her Dr, where she goes to school etc... The thing is that he emails me wanting me to give him reports on her school work... Isn't that his responsibility to contact the school and request those documents if he so choose to have them?? BTW the emails sent intail a lot more that just how she is doing, more like what I am doing... Anyway I just feel like if he wants that info he should get it himself. He also has not seen or talked to our daughter since Xmas 2009, yet he has time to email me 5X a day... that is why I called it harassment...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2010, 10:20 AM

Well would you rather him making appointments with the school teachers, and I guess how come you get the report cards all the time, not him,

But you should, if you get copies be sending them to him within a day or two, scan them and email them.

It is obvoius that you are not wanting to share the child's activities with him, using the child as a fighting tool.

So perhaps all of the report cards should just go to him, and he can send you copies, how would you feel if you were not getting them.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 5, 2010, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aavbrooks View Post
    I guess my question should have been, do I have the responsibility of mailing him report cards??? I do cooperate with him as far decision making and he knows everything about her Dr, where she goes to school etc... The thing is that he emails me wanting me to give him reports on her school work... Isnt that his responsibility to contact the school and request those documents if he so choose to have them??? BTW the emails sent intail alot more that just how she is doing, more like what i am doing... Anywho I just feel like if he wants that info he should get it himself. He also has not seen or talked to our daughter since Xmas 2009, yet he has time to email me 5X a day... that is why i called it harrassment...
    What does your court order say about all of this ?

Jun 6, 2010, 06:59 PM

The court order says that he can obtain any information pertaining to the child, but that it is the responsibilituy of each parent to request it whether it be from the school or the dr...
    vanillaface Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2010, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70;2380143You do not have direct obligation to do it but generally it is viewed as your attempt to prevent him for exercising his rights.
    By the way This is the first time I am reading that if a father is interested in how his daughter is doing ,it is considered as [B
    "HARASSMENT"[/B]
    I don't think she meant that him asking about their daughter is harassing, but the manner in which he does it & other information unrelated to the child.

I am getting frustrated because when my son is with his father, he will not answer the phone. The other states I am to know his whereabouts when he is with his father, and that I can call at anytime. But if I call to talk to my son & see where he is, his father rejects my calls & says I am harassing him. So I can understand him getting frustratedn being out of the loop. However if the court order says he can obtain the information himself via contact the school, that is his responsibility. If he is becoming vulgar, that is harassment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint legal custody [ 3 Answers ]

My son and his ex-wife have joint legal custody, she has physical custody of their 5 yr old child. They all currently live in GA. We have heard that she is planning on moving to North Carolina. Can she move the child out of state since they share joint legal custody? Without going back to court?...

Primary physical custody and joint legal custody [ 2 Answers ]

My son and his wife are divorced now, they have joint legal custody mother has primary physical custody because my son is in the military and he was told that she had to have primary physical custody in order to enroll the child in school. However she doesn't have my son listed as a contact person...

Joint Legal Custody in AZ [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, My Ex-husband and I share Joint Legal Custody of our 10 yr. old daughter, w/ myself having Sole Legal Custody. My new husband has received a job promotion and in time will require us to move out of state. We have been very upfront about this decision w/ my ex-husband and he seems to be...

Joint Legal Custody [ 2 Answers ]

The custodial parent informed me that our child may need major surgery. She informed me she took our child to an appt for an exam. She then said she was getting a second opinion. She did not provide me with any information on the first appt or give me the option of going to the appt. Now she is...

View more questions Search