Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    savannahgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 11:53 AM
    Shower drain - sealing off
    My 3rd bathoom has a small ceramic tile shower which no one uses. (Recently, I have had an influx of large cockroaches coming out of the drain. I have no idea how they get into the drain, but they do.) In the short term, I have duct-taped the drain closed. My preference is to completely remove the shower and convert it into a storage closet. Since I can't do that at the present time, I want to seal off the drain permantly to keep the unwanted pests out of my house.
    hontoni Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2010, 01:13 PM

The cockroaches come out of the sewer pipe in the street. These pipes are loaded with cockroaches and are really disgusting.
    There is a plug you can buy (I forget the actual name). It is orange plastic with black rubber around it. It has a large wingnut. You need to buy the correct one for your drain size (measure the diameter). Any good plumbing supply house can help you. When you tighten the wing nut, it will seal the hole very tightly. Once you get around to removing the shower, you will just remove this plug, ut the pipe below grade and glue on a cap (assuming it is ABS pipe).

I hope this helps!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 01:16 PM

You can purchase Drain Plug. Insert the plug into the drain and turn screw on top. It will expand sealing the drain in process.

There is a trap below this drain. Once water inside the trap dries out roaches can crawl inside shower coming from vent to which trap is connected, possibly from the main sewer as well...

Hope that will help... Milo
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 01:42 PM

If you are permanently changing this to a closet you should do a more permanent capping. Is the drain PVC or what?

Jun 9, 2010, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    If you are permanently changing this to a closet you should do a more permanent capping. Is the drain PVC or what?
    Thank you for responding. My eventual goal is to tear out the shower and put a closet in, but that is down the road. I'm more interested in the short-term solution just in case I change my mind about the shower in the future.
    As for the makeup of the drain, I can see metal from the shower itself, but what is below I have no idea. My house was built in the mid-70's, if that helps.

Jun 9, 2010, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hontoni View Post
    The cockroaches come out of the sewer pipe in the street. These pipes are loaded with cockroaches and are really disgusting.
    There is a plug you can buy (I forget the actual name). It is orange plastic with black rubber around it. It has a large wingnut. You need to buy the correct one for your drain size (measure the diameter). Any good plumbing supply house can help you. When you tighten the wing nut, it will seal the hole very tightly. Once you get around to removing the shower, you will just remove this plug, ut the pipe below grade and glue on a cap (assuming it is ABS pipe).

I hope this helps!
    Thanks for your advice. I'll check with a plumbing supply to see if they can assist

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foot Locker Drain Not Sealing [ 1 Answers ]

The drain mechanism is still intact. It opperates up and down, but the down is not far enough down to seal the drain and prevent the water from draining. Like the others I have turned and turned the stopper, but it hasn't fixed the problem. Also, there is no trash, or debris, under the seal. ...

Sealing painted fiberglass shower [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has painted our fiberglass shower stall with appropriate paint twice. The first time he failed to clean it properly and paint peeled or washed off in some areas, he only taped off the lower half because the almond colors did not match and thought this would still look okay. This week he...

Sealing shower stall base [ 1 Answers ]

There is a leak between the acrilic wall and the shower stall pan. Caulking using acrilic did not help. Shall I cut the plastic wall and/or use some special sealing material? Thanks!

Sealing drain for acrylic, Swanstone, other plastics [ 3 Answers ]

I have always used plumber's putty to seat a drain to the sink or tub. With the new "plastics" the recommendation is for one to use silicone instead because the plumber's putty is oil-based and presumably will cause degradation of the "plastic". The silicone does not seem to seal as well,...

Sealing steel bathtub drain [ 4 Answers ]

Help! I am having my old cast-iron stack replaced with PVC so that I can add a third floor bathroom. The first and second floor toilet and tub connections were also replaced, with one problem. We can't get the new drain for the second floor tub to seal properly. The tub is steel and the rim of...

View more questions Search