Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashlysc18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 10:57 AM
    My puppy has diarrhea still, what can I do?
    I have a 5 month old begal. The past 2 months he has been in and out of the vet. I got him from a puppy store and later found out that he was from a puppy mill. Unfortinetly the store will not help with any of the vet bills because I have been told that he doesn't have a disease, it is just a parasite. He has been treated for giardia twice now and dewormed after we saw that he had large amounts of blood and mucus on top of having diarrhea. He still acts like a normal puppy and drinks a ton of water. Has a healthy appitite too. We put him on chicken and greenbeans for about a week and a half per instructions from our vet. It really helped to harden up his stool and his came up negative for giardia and coccidia the third time around. My issue is that we are starting to slowly add dog food again, per the vet again, and the very first day he went back to having diarrhea again. Even though we did the 75% and 25% for his food. Is this normal? We put him on California natural because it is supposed to help with sensitive stomachs. I just don't know what to do anymore. Help anyone?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 25, 2010, 11:10 AM

His tummy could definitely still be upset from the parasites. Any change in his diet could give him the runs at this point. If it is from the change in food, it should only last 24 hours. The next BM should be a little firmer. I know there are products on the market that can help with the diarrhea, your vet would be able to recommend a good one for your situation.

The most important thing now to is to make sure he is drinking normally. Make sure he always has access to fresh water. Keep him hydrated, and if the diarrhea lasts longer than 24 hours, you are going to have to contact your vet again. I am not familiar with that brand of dog food, is there a lot of corn or wheat in it?

I am sorry this happened to you, I really feel for your dog. Unfortunately that is the case with most puppies from pet stores, they come from BYB and puppy mills. I hope you will be an advocate now for these little guys.
    ashlysc18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    His tummy could definitely still be upset from the parasites. Any change in his diet could give him the runs at this point. If it is from the change in food, it should only last 24 hours. The next BM should be a little firmer. I know there are products on the market that can help with the diarrhea, your vet would be able to recommend a good one for your situation.

The most important thing now to is to make sure he is drinking normally. Make sure he always has access to fresh water. Keep him hydrated, and if the diarrhea lasts longer than 24 hours, you are going to have to contact your vet again. I am not familiar with that brand of dog food, is there a lot of corn or wheat in it?

I am sorry this happened to you, I really feel for your dog. Unfortunately that is the case with most puppies from pet stores, they come from BYB and puppy mills. I hope you will be an advocate now for these little guys.
    Thanks, I am at work all day, but my husband is at home watching him. So hopefully it will be better this morning. He is drinking regularly which is good. California natural is made by the same company that makes innova. I had him on innova for a while but the vet thinks that it is too hard on his stomach now. I guess I'll just give them a call if it doesn't clear up today. It doesn't have any corn or grains in it, its actually really good dog food. I'm just hoping something will work soon.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 25, 2010, 11:20 AM

Good luck! If you have any other questions we are here! Oh yea, we love pictures! :D
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

May 25, 2010, 04:13 PM

I have had wonderful success with a probiotic called PetFlora. You just sprinkle one capsule on their food every time they eat. I have tried others that my vet recommended, but nothing works as well. Now even my vet uses this one for her other patients. You can find it online at the company website. The company is called Vitality Science I believe. Just Google PetFlora.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 25, 2010, 04:40 PM

You've already received wonderful advice so I'll just pipe in and say that I'm so happy to read that you're doing everything you can for this little guy. So many people come here with serious health problems in their pets, expecting us to fix them, refusing to go to the vet. So far you've done everything right and I hope that the future is bright.

I have a beagle too, 1 1/2 years old. We'd love to see pictures of your precious bundle and please keep us posted on his progress, we do worry when we don't hear back from the people that post.

Good luck to you and the little one. :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2010, 08:01 AM

Something you might want to speak to your vet about. Maybe your dog has collitis. My dog had it when I first got her along with coccidea and giarrdia and hookworms.

Typically collitis is just urgency, however the type of collitis my dog had made her always have diarrhea. She acted normal still, but always had the runs. The type of collitis my dog had was a bacterial infection of the end part of the intestine. To test for it was a blood test. You may want to check it out. Its pretty easy to fix.

However, its not uncommon for puppy mill dogs to battle garida. I have heard many stories that it along hard and expensive road ahead of you to clear out the giardia.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy has diarrhea with blood [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I hope you can help me. My 9 week old puppy has had diarroah for the last 2 days. Hes absolutley fine in himself,but his diiarroah has blood in it. Thank you Suzanne

Puppy diarrhea [ 2 Answers ]

We just got our small 8 week old puppy two days ago. Pet Rescue said he had his shots and was de-wormed and healthy. However, he has foul diarrhea that is runny and gross--like a real newborn. Is something wrong? Puppy chow the reason?

Puppy diarrhea [ 2 Answers ]

I have a plott hound feist that is days away from being four months old. She has been having chronic diarrhea. She has no loss of appetite and is still her wild self. I have never had dogs before and am concerned. We also adopted a 6 mo black lab from the same rescue and she is fine.

My 11 week old puppy has bad diarrhea [ 6 Answers ]

I have had my 11 week old golden ret./ lab mix puppy for a week now. And I haven't really had any problems. I went to the vet today w/ him and all was clean and good in his body and stool. He was given a kennel cough vaccine and a general check-up. This morning his stool was runnier then normal but...

Puppy diarrhea and vomiting [ 3 Answers ]

During the day I leave my 6 month old yorkie in a kennel. Today, when I came home she had diarrhea. Later on in the day she started vomiting. What do I do until I get her to a vet?

View more questions Search