Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mustangchristy77 Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

May 19, 2010, 12:24 PM
    Was saved now not so sure
    I know I was saved and I was close to the Lord. Lately, I feel like maybe I'm not. I do believe his is my Lord and Savior but I feel so distant from him and feel I can't get back to where I was. Once, if asked if I'd go to heaven I'd say "yes" but now I don't know for sure. Does anyone else feel this way?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 19, 2010, 12:35 PM
    Hmmm, yeah, ummmmmmmm, maybe once a day I feel this way. Maybe even twice a day... or more.

Remember: "Doubt is the ants-in-the-pants of faith" (Frederick Buechner). The very fact that you are thinking about this indicates that faith is there and swirling around.

What would you feel comfortable doing to ramp things up?
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

May 19, 2010, 12:38 PM

You have to have something in your heart and soul to have doubts. We all do. Examine your heart and talk to the Lord just as if he's sitting with you on the front porch.

He'll give you that assurance... he really will. Blessings to you.
    mustangchristy77 Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

May 19, 2010, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    You have to have something in your heart and soul to have doubts. We all do. Examine your heart and talk to the Lord just as if he's sitting with you on the front porch.

He'll give you that assurance...he really will. Blessings to you.
    Thanks. I do talk to him even though I feel this way. I can't put my finger on as to why I have these feelings. I even feel like sometimes I'm a little to "dense'' to understand what he's trying to tell me.;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 19, 2010, 04:09 PM

It is easy, satan attacks those that believes in Christ, he does not have to worry about those that don't believe, since they are not a threat. We see Peter deny Christ, Thomas and all the 12 with doubts. Also remember our time as a Christian is a lifestyle, ( or should be) and our time as a Christian is a journey. We are not at the same place today as yesterday and tomorrow we will be at a different place than today
    Uber Member

May 19, 2010, 04:23 PM

Satan is a master manipulator. He is so intent on his mission to spread hatred and doubt among Gods people. The Bible tell us to "try the spirits to see if they be of God"

You have to have something before you can doubt it. When he comes to your thoughts , speak Gods name out loud, this makes him tremble and he will flee.

He knows he has a short time left to destroy all he can destroy. God is with you. Blessings
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2010, 04:39 PM

Feelings are the worst guideline in the world, because they change constantly. That's why you can know you belong to Christ even when you don't feel close to him (been there, done that, repeatedly and to every possible degree; you're not alone!): it's a question of the truth of who he is and what he's done for you and your acceptance of it, regardless of what you feel at any particular time. Stand on God's word and you can ride out the negative feelings. It might take a day or it might take a year, but with the knowledge that Jesus is real and salvation is real, you can do it.
    Uber Member

May 19, 2010, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Feelings are the worst guideline in the world, because they change constantly. That's why you can know you belong to Christ even when you don't feel close to him (been there, done that, repeatedly and to every possible degree; you're not alone!): it's a question of the truth of who he is and what he's done for you and your acceptance of it, regardless of what you feel at any particular time. Stand on God's word and you can ride out the negative feelings. It might take a day or it might take a year, but with the knowledge that Jesus is real and salvation is real, you can do it.
    What a wonderful testimony to the Lord. Dwashbur... you are truly a blessing.:)
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

May 19, 2010, 06:36 PM

Christy - I have felt that way and from time to time I do feel that way. Many people I know have also felt that way. Moreover, David penned Psalms that exhibit that same feeling of doubt and feeling of abandonment ("...distant from him").

Psalm 13:

How long, O LORD ? Will you forget me forever?
    How long will you hide your face from me?

2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
    And every day have sorrow in my heart?
    How long will my enemy triumph over me?

3 Look on me and answer, O LORD my God.
    Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;

4 my enemy will say, "I have overcome him,"
    And my foes will rejoice when I fall.

5 But I trust in your unfailing love;
    My heart rejoices in your salvation.

6 I will sing to the LORD,
    For he has been good to me.

Psalm 88:

1[a] [b]
    O LORD, the God who saves me,
    Day and night I cry out before you.

2 May my prayer come before you;
    Turn your ear to my cry.

3 For my soul is full of trouble
    And my life draws near the grave. [c]

4 I am counted among those who go down to the pit;
    I am like a man without strength.

5 I am set apart with the dead,
    Like the slain who lie in the grave,
    Whom you remember no more,
    Who are cut off from your care.

6 You have put me in the lowest pit,
    In the darkest depths.

7 Your wrath lies heavily upon me;
    You have overwhelmed me with all your waves.
    Selah

8 You have taken from me my closest friends
    And have made me repulsive to them.
    I am confined and cannot escape;

9 my eyes are dim with grief.
    I call to you, O LORD, every day;
    I spread out my hands to you.

10 Do you show your wonders to the dead?
    Do those who are dead rise up and praise you?
    Selah

11 Is your love declared in the grave,
    Your faithfulness in Destruction [d] ?

12 Are your wonders known in the place of darkness,
    Or your righteous deeds in the land of oblivion?

13 But I cry to you for help, O LORD;
    In the morning my prayer comes before you.

14 Why, O LORD, do you reject me
    And hide your face from me?

15 From my youth I have been afflicted and close to death;
    I have suffered your terrors and am in despair.

16 Your wrath has swept over me;
    Your terrors have destroyed me.

17 All day long they surround me like a flood;
    They have completely engulfed me.

18 You have taken my companions and loved ones from me;
    The darkness is my closest friend.

We have to endure the trials that come our way and sometimes all we have to cleave to are the promises of God because life itself dries up our souls and our struggles nearly consume up at times. But God has us in those places for a reason: to build Christ-likeness in us.

If your struggle is something very specific, like a nagging question about God's character or something you are facing, maybe you can take that step and ask. Someone here is bound to understand where you are coming from.

Grace and peace.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2010, 05:34 PM

Keep on praying and reading your Bible. There is a song by Jeff and Sherri Easter, called "Praise His Name" and another one called "Speak to The Mountain".

I have been in the Valley so many times and in the past three months I have listened to these songs and they have brought me a lot of comfort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRK0JrA5GKI - 102k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pY61bXI4Bw - 124k

This is my very favorite
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2010, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangchristy77 View Post
    I know I was saved and I was close to the Lord. Lately, I feel like maybe I'm not. I do believe his is my Lord and Savior but I feel so distant from him and feel I can't get back to where I was. Once, if asked if I'd go to heaven I'd say "yes" but now I don't know for sure. Does anyone else feel this way?
    You are going through a dry spell. Have you ever noticed how some days it is very easy to pray but other days, it is a chore. These dry spells are God's test to see if we truly love Him. If we truly love God we pray even when it is a chore.

You might want to read a book by St. John of the Cross:
    Dark Night of the Soul
    The Dark Night

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Uber Member

May 23, 2010, 11:00 AM

The only time we reach perfection is when we are safe at home in heaven with the Lord. Keep on reading your Bible and praying. Blessings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Never too later to be saved [ 8 Answers ]

I need a drama script/story on this topic "never too later to be saved" please kindly assist me. God bless u all. Remember"never too later to be saved" Thanks

Once saved always saved [ 39 Answers ]

How many Christians believe in the addage, once saved always saved? I have been a Christian since age 8 and never was sure until adulthood. I heard it said at the pulpit, that once you name is written in the Book of Life it cannot be erased. A good example of this is the relationship we have...

Can it be saved [ 4 Answers ]

After 19 years not only did he have a affair he fathered child. I love him and he wants nothing more that me to let him back into my heart. My mind keeps me wondering if we are fooling ourselves thinking it can work... Help me, has it been done, I mean done for real... I do forgive him and love him...

What Must I Do To Be Saved? [ 16 Answers ]

(1) What is the first step to Salvation? (2) What are your beliefs (based upon The Bible) regarding Salvation? (3) Do you believe in the eternal security of the believer (keeping in mind that Salvation is based upon the finished work at Calvary; not upon what man can or can't do, due to human...

View more questions Search