Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HatRock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 08:52 PM
    Converting mercury bulb thermostat to digital
    I have a TRANE XL1200 Weathertron heat pump with auxiliary heat. It is controlled by a Trane 3AAT80A1A1 mercury bulb analog thermostat. I have purchased a RiteTemp 8050C digital programmable thermostat to replace it. The analog thermostat has wired terminals marked O,R,T,G,Y,X2,B,W and F. It also has a terminal marked U that is jumpered to the W wire. The RiteTemp digital has terminals C,W2,Rc,O,B,Rh,W,Y,G, and A. The digital thermostat has documentation suggesting how to connect the wires. The RiteTemp documentation maps the wires this way:

Trane to RiteTemp

Connect G wire to G terminal (this connects the fan)
    Jumper W terminal on RiteTemp to Y terminal on RiteTemp
    Connect Y wire to Y terminal (this connects the compressor)
    Connect O wire to O terminal (this connects chang over valve)
    Tape off the B wire
    Jumper Rc terminal on RiteTemp to Rh terminal on RiteTemp
    Connect R wire to Rc terminal (this connects to the 24vac power)
    Connect W wire to W2 terminal (this connects auxiliary heat)

All of this is fine, but there are wires left over from the old thermostat connections. I don't have any documentation for the Trane thermostat so I don't know the function of each wire. The left over wires are T, X2 and F. The RiteTemp documentation implies that anything with an X is a control wire and should be connected to an AC (current) terminal so I guess I could connect that to the C terminal on the RiteTemp. That still leaves the T and F wires.

Any advice? Thanks.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2006, 05:25 PM
    X is common, probably not needed. X2 I think is for a diagnostic light I=on old stat, not needed. F?? don't remember ever seeing that before, E maybe? I'm comfused about W to Y though. But I won't deal Rite temp stats, I've posted several messages about hardware store bargain stats.
    SuperTyphoon Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

Dec 7, 2006, 05:26 PM
    I just got that tstat a week ago, but I live in Florida and only had to install it on a A/C unit with the indoor part of a heat pump. My only wires were W, Y, G, and RC.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2006, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTyphoon
    I just got that tstat a week ago, but i live in florida and only had to install it on a A/C unit with the indoor part of a heat pump. My only wires were W, Y, G, and RC.
    You have a completely different animal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upgrade our 2 wire thermostat to digital? [ 36 Answers ]

We have a thermostat that only has 2 wires, red and white coming out of the wall, and we want to change it to a digital thermostat with slots of W2, G, E, Y, C, B O, R or we also have a unit that has slots W1, G, Y, C, B, O, R So my question is this: Are we able to use either of the 2 new...

Converting Thermostat Old to Digital [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to convert an old thermostat to a new one? 7 whire harness with colors, Orange (O), Yellow (Y), Black (X2), White (W or U), Red (R), Brown (T), Green (G). New has S1, S2, RC, R, O/B, Y, G, C

Honeywell 'T8011R1006' programmable Digital Thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I've looked everywhere to determine how to shut the unit off. For some reason there is no explanation in my manual as to how to get the SYSTEM button to change from HEAT/OFF/COOL. When I press it nothing happens. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Is my thermostat broken?:confused:

Installing noma digital thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I am having difficulty replacing my old thermostat with a Noma brand programmable thermostat. The old thermostat - an old manual mercury type - is connected to 5 wires labelled on the circuit board as G, R, Y, W, and 4. it looks very much like the model shown on this website: ...

How to install Noma digital thermostat [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a home with a new Carrier hi efficiency gas furnace but the old original White Rodgers theromstat. The original thermostat is the mercury switch type for both heat and cool and has 4 wires (Red, White, Green and Black). I tried to install a new Noma #52-2570-6 digital thermostat, which...

View more questions Search