Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darin08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 06:14 PM
    Old heating systems
    Hello

There is a discontinued thermostat on the wall of my house that was built in the 1970's. When painting the wall, I proceeded to remove the thermostat because of it does not serve a purpose. To confirm that this could be done safely, I followed the wire in the basement to a strange relay box on top of the fuse box. This relay box seems to be mounted to and wired into the main electrical circuit breaker box. The wire that goes from the thermostat to the [what looks to be] relay box, resembles a common oil burner wire, but only contains two wires; a white and red. I just thought this was the former location of the oil burner thermostat. But now it looks as if there was a completely different system once in place. Does anyone know what this is?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2006, 05:20 PM
    Sorry not without seeing it or knowing much more about what the box is and how it is connected to the furnace.
    darin08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Its not connected to the current furnace. Im trying to figure out what purpose this serves or once served. It looks as though its power supply for an old electric thermostat, such as one with a clock or something, but this thermostat is an old simple mercury one and does not require power.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 7, 2006, 11:02 PM
    Probably just the old stat. Not to worry if it goes no where. We used to find old stats all the time on remodel and new installs. Take it off and patch over the holes. Then paint.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Root Systems [ 1 Answers ]

How about helping out a fellow expert,(plumbing page)? I live on the West coast of Florida. When Tropical Storm Gabriel came ashore a few days after 9/11 the combination of rain,(soggy soil) and wind toppled a Jacaranda Tree that was over fifty feet tall and forty eight years old. This tree has no...

Systems [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, I have a huge algebra projcet due... and it is on Systems.. I have no idea what to do.. :confused: Here's what I have came up with for a question John Allen averages 16 points per game, his season consists of 8 weeks, 3 gfames per week Johns cousin Steve averages 12 points a game,his...

2 operating systems [ 3 Answers ]

I have windows 2000, then I installed xp and now have both os when I start up.How do I uninstall 2000? I've read some posts and am not clear on what u mean by formatting. I'm not very experience and need help. Thank you .

Computer systems [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference between a computer system and a business information system

View more questions Search