Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BimmerGuy Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
    Female 'Puffery'
    I know, Great title right? :rolleyes:

Anyway I made an interesting observation the other day and was curious what others thoughts about it might be...

I was with my girlfriend and some other friends a little while back at an outdoor music festival. While there we were both mingling with friends together and breaking off at times.

I met up with somebody who I'd known for years but didn't know really, really well. I'd probably seen her 100 times over the years since we hang out in the same circle of friends but it would just be a passing "hey" or 5-10 minute talk to catch up while in the group of friends (at parties, tailgates for games, etc.). So her and I start talking about how we've been, her new job, my upcoming trip to Sweden, etc. Just two friends talking, not "flirting" or anything like that at all; just a 5-10 minute catch up like usual joking and laughing a bit.

After a few minutes my girlfriend walks up smiling to say hey. I immediately introduced her to my friend and talked a minute with my girlfriend before looking up to continue my conversation. Well as I did the friend I was talking to had started walking off (mind you we were right in the middle of a nice conversation). I mentioned that it was nice catching up with her and she agreed and walked over to some other friends. Like clock work I got the stink eye from the girlfriend when I turned back around...

I didn't think a thing about it until later that night when my girlfriend was a little annoyed and I asked her about it. She said she wasn't happy that I was talking with my friend and I just smirked and shook my head asking "Really?" in a light hearted manner. So of course we go through the whole conversation about how we're boh independent people, we're both secure in our relationship and don't have any reason to get upset about stuff like that (me more than her), etc. Now I could understand if it was some random girl but it wasn't.

So, to the point. During our talk I asked my girlfriend "was I flirting with her?", to which she said "no" and then asked her if my friend was flirting with me and she said "well not really." Then she mentioned "well she definitely left pretty quickly when I walked up..."

I hadn't thought about it but she was right and I did think it was a little odd. Having known this other girl I would have thought she would have stuck around to talk but didn't. My girlfriend didn't "fly in" angry or anything at all like that (i.e. stereotypical male... ) but was the total opposite.

So from both sides what is everybody's take on this. I don't notice it too much (I am a guy after all :p) but do females more subtely "protect" in a different manner than males or was this just an odd ocurence?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 14, 2010, 02:42 PM

Lol, when she found you had a girlfriend, she retreated to keep the peace, and avoid any BS. And yes, females communicate and interact a bit differently than guys.

That's why we are ALWAYS wrong. Cheeeez! Thought you knew.
    BigE285 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2010, 11:36 PM
    Here is my take on this. Your girlfriend is simply jealous. Now I am a guy, and I am much more of a guy than anyone else in this forum, but this is one hundred and ten percent the only logical explanation for her actions. If you value your relationship with her, you simply need to explain to her that she is the only one for you and that you did not mean anything by your weird face. Take her out to a nice dinner, stick it in her later on and boom! You're back in line. Just be more conscious in the future when talking to other girls around her. Its best to avoid conflict if you value her.

Big Sex
    sully123 Posts: 567, Reputation: 148

Jul 11, 2010, 03:49 AM

Let it go! It's not worth getting upset about. Your friend walked away, kept the peace. It was just a friend, so don't get all bent up about it. Your friend was done, end of her conversation. Tal, is right females interact different.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2010, 04:01 AM

Maybe your girlfriend was just marking her tertority,no harm there,the other girl took the hint and moved on.

Its no big deal,your girlfriend may have felt a little threatened,and as I said,was just checking out the other female.

I think 'puffery' is a great description of what happened,and her reaction afterwards was just a physical reaction to marking her male.

Kingfisher( birds) females will fight to the death to mark their males,be glad she's not a kingfisher!
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Jul 11, 2010, 04:25 PM

You only spoke to the other girl, you didn't make a date or anything I expect she walked off because she could see your g/f had returned and females can sense hositlity from other females, so she did the polite thing.

Its no big deal most females would have done similar.

You seem to be making something out of all this why? Do you perhaps fancy the other girl? LOL JMO
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2010, 04:43 PM

You sure have a lot to learn about us. First of all we don't react in public. We wait till we get you by yourselves and then we pout.

You all pretty much think iit's pms or jealousy . See woman have built in radar about other women. We really do.

I know when a woman is being talky and friendly with my husband and that's all. I also know when one would jump his bones at the drop of a hat.

He is a very good man and has never cheated. He loves me very much or he might be afraiid I would kill him. Just saying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

18 year old female dating a 16 year old female in Virginia [ 9 Answers ]

Im a 18 year old female and my girlfriend is 16 we have been together for 6 months. My birthday is in July and her birthday is in October. Is it OK if we are together?

Why do my 2 female hamsters keep fighting w/ my smallest female hamster? [ 23 Answers ]

I got two female Siberian (Campbell) hamsters a few months ago. I had them mated with my friend's male Siberian Hamster. After a few weeks both of them had babies. Of course I separated them until such time that their babies were old and big enough for all of them to be in the same cage. The only...

View more questions Search