Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CarolShippey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Telephone wiring
    I have a small business. When the owner installed the telephone lines he installed 2 of them. We took the plate off and looked at the wiring within jack and he put 2 strands to each of the 2 jacks. We currently have 2 incoming lines with a 2 line telephone. This works okay.

However, we are now trying to expand to 4 line telephone. The instructions say to install a 2 two-line adapter onto jack #1 then connect the wiring to line #1 jack and into the back of the phone labeled l1/l2 then to take a jumper line from the other jack in the two-line adapter and into jack #2. This does not work.

Is it because there should be 4 strands into each of the jacks? How do we do this?

Thank you. Carol
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2006, 01:19 PM
    What's on the back of the phone?

Normally a 2 line phone jack is wired as an RJ14. This means that the red and green wires of line 1 go to the red and green wires of the jack. And the red and green wires of line 2 go the black and yellow wires of the jack. This makes the jack and RJ14 and able to function with a 2 line phone. For a 4 line phone you may need to wire 4 jacks and then connect a phone cord from each jack into the phone. It depends on what the jacks are like on the phone.

It might help if you listed the exact make and model of the phone so we can research it.
    LaMargarite Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2006, 08:41 PM
    Each phone line requires two wires. You can use a 4 wire jack and 4 wire cable between the jack and phone to provide the phone with two phone lines. Usually the red and green are the first line and the yellow and black are the second line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home Telephone [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I just wonder if someone out there might know how to help me get a dial tone on a very old Binetone Eurotel 1000 phone. I bought it off e-bay and the instructions never arrived so I'm basicially 'stuffed' ! Any ideas please would be so helpful - thanks

Telephone [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 7 year old Uniden telephone in the kitchen that has a wireless hand set and speaker in the base. The AC adapter is making a very soft buzzing sound that we had never noticed before. Should the whole works or the adapter be replaced? We are leery since an old computer popped that was...

Telephone [ 3 Answers ]

What DXX stands for?

Telephone wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I hope you'll be able to help me.. I am trying to have a phone at the kitchen and both my bedrooms. When I first moved into the apartment, there was only 1 jack working (bedroom 2), I was able to successfully put the kitchen jack working a month ago. Now, I am trying to work on the bedroom 1...

Telephone Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

There are two numbers currently working in my home. I would like to rewire a jack so it works on the other number. I thought it was an easy task by just switching the wires. However I tried numerous combinations and it still does not work. The jack that I want to switch users other colors...

View more questions Search