Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2010, 05:46 PM
    Fireplace problem
    My flue (sp) is stuck open. I have a whole house fan for the summer, so I can't have it opened. It was fine last year. I have tried silicone spray... working it, working it... Nothing!

Any suggestions:confused:
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 7, 2010, 05:52 PM

Careful with any spray. Silicone spray is flamible unless you buy the non flamible type of wd 40. If it ever gets cool enough you could run a fire through it and see if that loosens it. Be very careful. Or have a professional chimney sweep come out for a good cleaning and inspection. Sometimes over time water can get inside or humidity and caus them to rust tight. If you do run a fire through it it should expand the metal and free it up if that is the root caus.
    Robert Gift Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

Aug 7, 2010, 05:28 AM

I am a chimney sweep.
    Use two wrenches; adjustable, socket, open or closed end, and with one on each end of the bolt, loosen the bolt holding the handle to the damper support brace.

Then tighten to where it is stiff but not too tight.
    I have used a lock-washer to make the handle resistant to wind pulling the damper open.

If you can't do that, fill a garbage bag full of newspaper sheets compressed into balls and plug the opening.

If you forget and start a fire, it will open on its own!
    But better to not forget and first remove the plug.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central heating problem or water meter problem? [ 3 Answers ]

We live in an apartment building and the individual water usage is measured by private water meters (mechanical). When the apartment was built, 2 years ago, some of the meters had been fitted the wrong way (in reverse). Yesterday a plumber attended to rectify 3 meters. My 2 neighbours meters were...

If a Person Has a Problem With Raccoons, Can They Be Trained to Not Be a Problem? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, All! The title is my question. I've had a problem with raccoons invading my property for years. Is there a way that they can be trained to not be a problem? Thanks!

Playboy girlfirend problem.. Real problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have this new girlfriend.. that I really, really like (more than any other). She seems really nice... she was wearing everything of the "playboy" (earrings, bag, shirt, etc, etc) brand name / merchandise. I thought it was cute and a one time thing. Until I saw her bedroom.. It was 100%...

Leak around basement fireplace but not in fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Recently when we had heavy rain it leaked around the baement fireplace. I have noticed that the grout around the bricks are wet (not sure if soaking up from the floor). Thought because some flooding near by that it was a one time thing. Now it rained a coupe of days ago and I am noticing that it is...

1995 Altima Idleing problem Knock & O2 sensor, EGR Flow Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1995 Nissan Altima with 67,000 miles. When the car is idleing when I start it or when it is at a red light the rpm's go from 6000 to 9000. It sounds like I am reving the engine. The engine sounds fine when I am driving the car ( rpm's are consitent). I went to AutoZone the read out errors...

View more questions Search