Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nottelling Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2010, 07:23 PM
    Me and my ex are in love with each other
    I've been with my ex for about 2 years... the first 6 months of our relationship where long distance, where we talked everyday, and he also flew in one weekend to see me from across the world. Later that year I decided to go to a university in his country. We recently broke up but we both still love each other very much, it was because he realised that after we finish university we will settle in different parts of the world, due to our family businesses, family, language.. etc. my religion and culture played a role in the break up, since I won't have sex till after marriage. He said that wouldn't be a problem if I knew I was gana marry me in the end, but that wasn't the case. So he said he couldn't continue investing himself into something that will die in the end.
    Its been maybe 2 months now of not properly talking, then his birthday came and I went to the other side of the country where he studies to see him. And things kicked off. But today he asked what should we do, in the context of being only friends.
    I said I couldn't be his friend, since I am too in love with him, and seeing him with someone else will kill me. So he said I was being unfair since I'm making him choose between a new girl in his life and me as his friend...
    What should I do... should I just be his friend and take it.. even if he gets a new girlfriend.
    Or should I stop talking to him (although I know I won't be able to sustain it)
    He was/is the one person in this country that makes me look forward to the next day.. I really love him, and I know he feels it too... uh and we cnt get back together.
    I feel broken. Help.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 4, 2010, 07:39 PM
    The two of you have already made your choices, you've broken up.

A modified version of a realionship from an exclusive dating one, to a 'friendship' is most likely to fail. As you said yourself, it is too difficult to see him with another girl, and that you love him still, too much.

He has indicated to you that he doesn't want to choose between a new girlfriend, and a friendship with you. But, he really can't have his cake and eat it too. The only needs being met by that arrangement are his.

I would suggest, as hard as it is, to concentrate on allowing the relationship to end, in any regard or form.

You have already survived the worst of breaking up, realizing that long-term, it would not have worked out. Why set yourself up by continuing to maintain that life line of hope.

Maybe in years to come your paths will cross again, and each of you will be in happy relationships with other people.

It was sweet while it lasted, but it's over.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2010, 11:27 AM
    You're not being unfair in telling him it's too hard to be friends. You're doing the right thing. He's being unfair in wanting you to sit on the sidelines while he goes out with other women. It's VERY hard to be friends with someone you have feelings for. Been there, done that and I'm so glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Jun 25, 2010, 02:51 PM

It will only serve to cause you more pain.

Let it go its over, move on and leave this person in the past where he belongs.

Its very hard to remain as just a friend when a relationship is over its best to leave it at that.

You'll only end up torturing yourself when you should really be healing.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 25, 2010, 03:13 PM

You have but one good choice. Cut all contact with each other and have a proper healing from this chapter of your life.
    The longer you put this off, the worse it gets.
    parisrose Posts: 61, Reputation: 28

Jun 25, 2010, 11:22 PM

You said there is no way you two are able to get married in the future.

Things like this happen to a lot of couples who love each other, life and obstacles get in the way of them having a lifetime together.

You need to stop holding onto something that isn't going to happen, otherwise you are prolonging your pain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I just want my girlfriend to love me again, I love her but she doesn't love me anymore [ 34 Answers ]

3 moths ago, I broke up with my girlfriend for no reason at all. And for the past 2 months she tried and tried to make me go back to her. But I didn't give her a chance. That was the biggest mistake in my life. And then as time passes, we just don't get along anymore, and I keep pushing her away...

I love a boy who love me earlier but now he hates me but I still love him [ 13 Answers ]

I love a boy who love me earlier but now he hates me but I still love him... Because of some misunderstanding and maybe he got bored.. I myself don't know the real reason ... but I still love him... how can I get him back...

Love, understanding love, types of love [ 12 Answers ]

I thought this would be interesting to discuss. We all use love so much, we could say we love someone, then the next moment, we say we love our car, or wed love a big mac. I was watching this interesting video, in which this guy explained that the hebrews had 3 words for love. Raya- friendship...

View more questions Search