Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pkulish Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2010, 03:52 PM
    Dog Chewed Wires On Outside HVAC Unit
    Hello. My puppy decided to chew the wires on my hvac unit outside. There are 3 wires. Red, Green, and White. I assumed that I needed to splice red to red, white to white, and green to green. I did that and the unit still does not come on outside. Any ideas?

York Model H1RE036S06H

Thanks in advance!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 1, 2010, 03:55 PM

Check for blown fuse in low voltage circuit.

May 1, 2010, 04:08 PM

Ok I am assuming that the board is somewhere on the unit outside? Where might that be located? How will I know if it is blown? Where can I purchase another?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pkulish View Post
    Ok I am assuming that the board is somewhere on the unit outside? Where might that be located? How will I know if it is blown? Where can I purchase another?
    It is a small 3 amp car type fuse on the control board inside your blower unit. Inside the house. Pull it out, if it is blown it will have a brown spot in the center. You can get one anywhere that has car parts.

May 1, 2010, 04:18 PM

Does it make a difference that the vents already blow out some air inside the house even without the unit coming on outside? Or would they still blow even if that particular fuse was blown?
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 04:21 PM

The fan is still running on the inside? If the fan is still running then the fuse and the control board inside should be fine.

May 1, 2010, 04:25 PM

Yes, the fan still runs inside just fine and is blowing air. Just the until outside never comes on. I pulled the fuse and it doesn't appear brown anywhere. What should I check next?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2010, 05:32 PM

Yes, still sounds like the low voltage fuse, mine is not on the outside unit but at the other end of the wires at the inside unit
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 05:58 PM

I would say check to may sure your splice's are good, then turn off the power to the indoor unit. And back on again. You can press the contactor in the out door unit to turn it on manually

May 1, 2010, 06:32 PM
    As luck would turn out, it was the fuse! Apparently it had in fact blown. Thank you to all for the great suggestions. I will rest cooler tonight because of you guys.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 06:35 PM

Great, gad you got it going.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chewed off wires on outside unit [ 2 Answers ]

Something has chewed off our two wires connecting something like the compressor switch. Chewed clean off-- twice in just days! It is right in the open outside of the unit on the ground. What can we cover it with or put on it. I really don't want to use poison because of my pets. This is getting...

Dog chewed computer wires [ 6 Answers ]

My dog and laptop were in the backseat of car together and he chewed through the cord that plugs laptop to electrical outlet. Am I out money or can I just patch it with electrical tape and use? Don't want to start a fire. BAD DOG! :eek:

My dog chewed my central air wires! [ 3 Answers ]

I turned on my Carrier central air today and it didn't work. I checked outside to find my dog chewed some of the wires! The wires coming out of the house are thin white and red wires (2)thatare banded together and the wires coming out of the condenser are blue and brown. How do I reconnect these...

Dog chewed wires [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a new house and of course we had to get a new dog. Well he decided to chew and rip out the thermostat wire from the ac unit. I'm having trouble seeing where the wires are supposed to be connected inside the unit. I work on electronics for a living and this is confusing me. The...

View more questions Search